4. Alex

Two weeks came and went without incident. The staring and rumors ceased. Amazingly I’d managed to avoid Tina and Courtney. A few days later, I got my Audi back as good as new, but most of all- I was still alone.

I was in English when it happened. The teacher droned on about some assignment, I’d long switched off knowing that she’d really only needed the first few sentences in her long winded speech. Instead, I was looking at a tall boy, the new object of stares and rumors. His hair was dark honey blonde and depending what the lighting was like; it could look a dark blonde or a light brown. His skin was just about the same color as mine, only a touch of tan in it and his eyes were an icy grey.

Today he’d arrived in Homeroom and was in all of my classes so far. As far as I knew, he didn’t talk much- but I felt some sort of draw to him. It was probably the fact that I was in his shoes two weeks ago. The prospect of a potential friend was far too enticing. Bear nudged my hand repeatedly; I absently stroked his head to calm him. It didn’t stop there. He started whining, starting low and raising volume. The whole class turned to look at me; I felt my face heat up.

“Bear, quiet.” I hissed at him desperately.

“Is there a problem Miss Anthony?” The teacher glared.

“I don’t know,” I supplied sheepishly.

Bear’s whining only got louder, I felt strange. “Stop it,” I commanded but he wasn’t having it. A second later he was barking and spinning in circles.

“Blaise, control your dog or sort it out outside.”

People were now laughing under their breaths about my misfortune.

His barking was echoing all over the place, I got a headache. Silently I stood up, ready to go take him outside or something when the world tilted and lurched before the ground rose to meet me and everything went black.

The world flickered back into place as I opened my eyes. I felt out of place, like I wasn’t completely in my body- strange. Everything was blurred and way too bright, I gasped in air as I realized I wasn’t breathing. There was a face above mine, the new kid. His face was tight with… worry? Oh right, I’d passed out. As soon as I breathed and fought to sit up, the worry vanished.

“Oh, you’re alive.” He said the words with such venom that blood rose into my cheeks.

By now, I’d learned that I had quite a temper and had absolutely no intention of clamping down on it at the present moment. “Yeah,” I spat. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” Through the tough act, I still couldn’t hide the indignant blush creeping up my neck.

He looked startled for a moment and then recovered his smooth composure, like he couldn’t care less. “Are you on any meds? You know, generally when service dogs freak out, it means something.”

I glared and got to my feet, swaying a little before my head was used to the altitude change. “No, I’m not. Why do you care?”

He grinned, a blindingly beautiful act. “I don’t.” Then offered his hand. “Alex.”

I glared at his hand and realized that the whole class had been watching us argue. “Blaise.” I answered, my face going a deeper red as I sat down, ignoring his hand.

“I know,” Alex answered and went back to his seat.

 “Miss Anthony? I think it’s best that you go to the nurse now.”

I nodded silently, taking a quiet Bear with me as we left the room.