Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Living with someone again was odd.

I wasn't used to another presence in the house. Whenever I got up from my desk and went into the kitchen, I would find Alexion there, making food or brewing tea, sometimes feeding scraps to the rat that had found its way back into the kitchen. I couldn't tell if I was uncomfortable or curious or maybe an odd mixture of both.

I stood at the corner that went into the kitchen, peeking out to watch Alexion as he sifted cubes of sugar around in his cranberry tea. He picked up a sugar cube from the bag and pushed it across the counter to the rat that had crawled onto the counter. It scurried across, snatched it up, and ran away with it. Alexion watched it go and I tried to determine his emotions from his expression, but it was difficult. His facial features seemed to remain calm, almost bored, but his eyes were spoke of the opposite, of an inner turmoil I wanted to find and understand, but it would take time. Just as it would take time for me to cope with the fact that, despite Alexion being here, I was still alone.

Alexion moved to turn around and I ducked back, pressing my back against the wall and holding my breath, eyes squeezed shut. There was a short pause.

"Charon, if you're gonna spy on me, at least take something to eat." Alexion said. Heat crept up to my cheeks and stung them as I swallowed hard, trying to will it away. Once it was safe to come out, I inched around the corner, looking past him at the kettle and the place where the rat had run off to before meeting Alexion's intense stare. One that gave me chills.

"I'm not hungry." I told him quietly, stopping a few feet from him. Alexion cocked his head.

"Thirsty?"

"No."

"Then what is it? You've been watching me for ten minutes." He added, arching a brow. He was teasing me, I realized after a moment. There was a hint of a playful tone in his voice. I shifted awkwardly, not quite used to being teased in a manner that wasn't meant to be obscene and harmful. Even Kyros had avoided being playful like that, probably afraid that he would unintentionally hurt my feelings.

"I... Uhm," I hesitated, trying to find the appropriate words, "I guess... I was just wondering... If you were going to be staying for a while." Alexion's lips worked into a frown and instantly I felt stupid for asking that. He probably thought I was trying to kick him out... was I? I had never really had someone visit me just so they could cook and clean my house. Visitors never stayed for more than a few minutes, even Cerberus. It was like they couldn't stand the aura of awkward I seemed to bleed off.

"Do you want me to leave?" He asked at last.

"No," I blurted instantly, then stopped, unable to stop the blush from painting my cheeks and now I could definitely see the amusement dancing in Alexion's sapphire blue eyes as I stumbled to correct myself, "I-I mean. Like, I don't know. You did try to kill my brothers and destroy the world and I don't know if I want to live with someone who could kill me-- not that I don't trust you, I mean, I don't-- Wait, no. I meant... I didn't mean for any of that to come out like that." Embarrassment made my entire body hot as I stood there, feeling completely stupid. This was why I tried to think before I spoke. I couldn't speak off the top of my head like my brothers or Hades, or anyone else I've met for that matter. I had to take time to think about what I'm going to say before I say it; otherwise, everything comes out sounding horrid. I wouldn't be surprised if Alexion decided to leave because he was disgusted by me.

But much to my surprise, Alexion shrugged, leaning back on the counter and picking up a sugar cube to place on his tongue. The way he did it was almost... erotic. The saliva on his tongue melted the sugar away as he pulled it into his mouth and sucked on it, shifting it into his cheek as he spoke.