Chapter 5

A strong wind whipped up over the seas and onto the platform as Bill opened the door. Breathing heavily, Bill stepped outside as the wind lashed his face with a spray of sea salt. "Selena, Veronica, come on, we'll wait outside. They could send a rescue any moment, we need to be ready."

Stepping outside, Veronica and Selena felt the same stinging wind hit their bare faces. Selena was still shaking a little. "Dad, what were those things?"

Leaning down, Bill took his daughter in both his hands, replying, "I don't know Selena, but I'm not going to wait around to see what else is under that water."

Veronica stepped over to the edge of the platform and stared into the waters. The streaming colored lights were getting brighter and larger. "Uh, Bill, those lights are getting closer."

Bill shouted against the wind. "Veronica, get back from the edge! Let's stay in the centre." As Veronica ran back, Bill wondered to himself what the hell he would do if the large pink fleshy tentacle came for them. He had no weapon, not even a knife, nothing. A thought crossed Bill's mind about the first aid station in the topside room. "Wait here," he said as he scrambled back to the door.

"Bill," Veronica yelled, "where are you going?"

Bill opened the door and begun rummaging through the first aid room. Picking up a small pair of scissors he quickly discarded them, thinking of how ineffectual they would be. Pulling away a few more boxes of medical gear, he finally found what he was looking for. Grabbing the fire extinguisher canister, Bill exited back out the door to be with Selena and Veronica. Bill thought of the effect that the water changes had upon the microorganisms when they first dug the cork hole, and how it destroyed them. He figured that the chemicals in the fire hydrant might affect anything bigger. It was a thought at least.

Huddled together on the windswept platform, they waited, as a giant whirring sound surrounded them. Bubbling water began to rise at the edges of the platform like a hot spring as the bright lights began to shine upwards to the sky. The squealing noises and bright coloured lights intensified as the waters surrounding the platform spun around in the same motion as a whirlpool.

Selena gripped her father tighter, imploring him with fearful eyes, "Dad, are we going to be okay?"

Bill hugged his girl tightly replying, "Sit tight honey, a rescue team will be here soon."

As Bill finished speaking, a deep rumbling shook the platform. The sound of jet fighter planes surrounded them as the waters pushed upwards. As the spray of water washed over them, a column of blazing iridescent blue light rose up from the circumference of the platform. The light was pulsing like a heartbeat in blue ribbons of patterned electricity. Towering high above them, the light column finally ceased moving upwards as the pulsing blue ribbons continued to move within; spinning, jumping, dancing, and circling.

"What on earth?" Veronica yelled loudly, but her voice was drowned out as the rhythmic heartbeat pulsing electrified their bodies, making them tingle. Panic started to engulf Selena, veronica and Bill as the rhythmic acoustics pulsed in time with their rushing blood. Bill looked down at his arm and was taken to a new level of alarm as he noticed his skin glowing blue. As Selena noticed her skin changing she started to scream fearfully, "Dad, DAD!"

Suddenly halting from its rising, the deep pulsing sound abated to a steady hum as the glowing on their skin dimmed. The dancing blue ribbons continued to flow around the column as Bill stared at the spectacle in awe. Drawing his attention back to his daughter, he tried to calm her down, looking into her eyes as he spoke, "Selena, Selena look at me. Look at me, listen, it's going to be okay. We're sticking together, I won't let you go." Selena nodded in acknowledgement as she wiped the tears from her eyes.