Prologue

• Dedicated to Meghana Pisharodi

Externally the biggest and eeriest house on the block on the outside but inside, it was the most well preserved Victorian house. Everything was recently polished and most of the furniture from its last owner were antiques which made everything seem very high class. The ceiling was high and a huge sparkling chandelier hung above the living room. It had an old aristocratic feel to it.

Sam's parents fell in love with it as soon as they laid eyes on it. They were a pair of antique fanatics so the house was just perfect for them. Sam, however, had mixed feeling about this. She was glad that her parents finally found a house they liked but she found the house a little too gloomy. She had to agree that the interior was impressive but the house was so old that when she first saw it she thought it was going to collapse any minute. Her parents promised her that they would repaint the exterior so it wouldn't look so worn down but Sam didn't know when they would find the time.

Both her parents work full time at an insurance company. It was the company that moved Sam's parents to a new neighborhood on the outskirts of the city. They had recently opened a new branch in the town and they appointed Sam's dad to be the section leader and her mom as one of the office workers. Sam was glad that her parent's boss favored them enough to make a space for both of them in the new place, but this meant that neither of them could take care of her. Her always positive parents took it as a chance to let Sam grow independently, which meant that the only adult she would interact regularly in the house would be the cleaner who came every week. Although because of this, they successfully raised an strong, independent girl, she was still just 14 years old and needed someone to rely on.

While her parents were getting ready to go check out their new work place, Sam silently moved upstairs to check out her room. It was a beautiful room with a grand, queen sized bed and a lovely velvet seat next to a large window overlooking the town. Although she was quite happy that it wasn't as shabby as she thought it would be, the large sized only helped her feel smaller in her new environment.

Sam had just plopped herself down on her new dusty bed, when a face showed up just above her. That was when she screamed.