February 14th

“We should go see him,” Eva insisted, pulling on Will’s sleeve. Will looked up from the pot roast he was devouring.

            “Seriously?” he asked with a look of horror. “You can go commit suicide by yourself, I’m not walking in there.”

            “He’s your brother! What if he just went and died in his own office?!”

            “Nonsense,” Will laughed, going back to his dinner. “If you listen really closely, you can hear the keyboard typing in there.”

            A steak knife flew harmlessly through his head, and Will continued to eat, as if nothing had happened. Eva shoved herself away from the table and marched out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

            Lily, who had been watching quietly the entire time, asked something that made him choke. “If you like her that much, why are you trying to get her to hate you?”

            “…Kid, you’re too observant for your own good.”

***

            Nathan heard Eva down the hall several moments before she even approached the door. When she pounded on it and demanded that he let her in, Nathan ignored the noise and went on reading the newspaper headline.

           BROOKLYNWALKER DIES IN A CAR CRASH, HUSBAND DISTRAUGHT.

            Suddenly, a gaping hole exploded in the wood, spraying splinters and dust all over the room. The doorknob flew through the window with a crash, and in its place was Eva’s foot. In a matter of seconds, she had torn the door from its hinges and breeched the room.

            “Get a GRIP!” Eva shouted, marching up to the table and pulling Nathan up by the collar. “You’ve got to be KIDDING me! If you’re going to lock yourself in your office like this, then you never should’ve let her go in the first place, idiot!”

            “What choice did I have?” he asked emotionlessly. Nathan disengaged himself from Eva’s hands and sank back into the chair. “I said I would let her go. Besides, she’s an indenture and I’m a royal. You think it would’ve worked out just like a fairy tale or something? You’re the only one who needs to get real.”

            “It’s too bad, though,” a deep satirical voice sighed in the gaping doorway. “I liked the girl.” Eva whipped around and quickly bowed to Mr. Walker, murmuring salutations. His son closed his eyes and leaned back into the chair.

            “Get out.”

            “Now, now, that’s not the way to talk to your own father.”

            “What are you doing here?”

            “I should be saying the same thing. You keep talking about what’s right, but it’s hardly convincing when you’re making a face like that.”

            Nathan gritted his teeth, but didn’t say a word.

***

            “Blaire!!!” a blonde indenture with shiny green eyes shouted across the field. The brunette sitting under a large oak tree didn’t turn her head and kept her eyes to the starry midnight sky. She failed to notice that he was even there until her was standing over her.

            “Blaire, you okay?” the boy asked. Brook jerked out of her memories and faked a smile at her boyfriend.

            “Oh, hi Dale. Sorry, I was thinking about something.”

            “’S okay,” he grinned cheerfully. Dale plopped down onto the soft green grass next to her, and the two spent the rest of the night looking at constellations and pointing at airplanes floating by.

            A few hours later, Brook trudged up to her apartment room and closed the shiny door quietly behind her. She dropped her jacket on the floor and slowly made her way over to a large pine desk littered with sketches of plants and animals.

            She fell into a leather armchair and brushed aside some wads of paper, revealing a little crystal clock probably worth more than the apartment itself.

            Its two hands stood almost perfectly aligned on the 12, and as it ticked slowly to February 14th, Brook’s thoughts went back to the plans made some time in the forgotten past. She closed her eyes, remembering the feeling of having contacts in them.

            Brook, you paying attention?! I told you, if we don’t come up with something crazy for Valentine’s Day, Nathan’s going to cry! He’s a total creep, so I’d go for a little angel outfit with this itsy bitsy skirt and- WOAH, NATHAN?! WHEN DID YOU GET HERE!? Hey, stop, ow, ow, OW, OW- OKAY SORRY!!! GEEZ, it’s just a little harmless f- OKAY, I’LL STOP, SO DON’T TOUCH THE HAIR!

            A few tears slipped down her face when suddenly a ring of the doorbell shattered the silence. Brook quickly rubbed them away and stumbled to the door. As she grabbed the cold knob and yanked the door open, the clock chimed 12.

            In the doorway stood-

**************************************

Yeah I know bad place to cut off but I just wanted to post this for now coz the next few pages will take a while and I know you people would rather have me throw this out for now rather than hold it back for another few hours :D Ah, I have no life, writing all alone on New Years Eve....