Changing Him

So, you two are here due to the educational status of Mister Cooper, we are not saying that he is not eligible enough to graduate senior year but…”

“Let’s just get to the point.” James bluntly interrupted as he viciously stared at the coffee cup on op Mister Summon’s table. If he had brain powers and could miraculously break things, the glass could be in a million pieces now.

“Then what am I here for?” I noticed an annoying mosquito flying on top of Mister Summons’s head. I played with my hair because of boredom and tried fighting the urge to tell our principal there was a fly making a nest out of his head.

He took a deep breath and continued talking.

“As I was saying, James’ eligible status is not enough for him to pass the senior year. I’m afraid he needs to work on his grades or else…”

“Or else what?” James interrupted while he temporarily removed the ice bag from his left eye.

“Or else, you won’t get to graduate and repeat senior year.” He replied. James’ jaw dropped open. I forced myself not to smile but I smiled anyway. That’s what you get when you don’t study!

“And that’s the part where you come in, Miss Hayden. You are assigned to tutor him…”

“What?” We both screamed in unison.

“It’s the only way; the whole Golden State High School is expecting you to take charge of Mister James’ grade comeback, and well, James himself!”  After he finished his announcement I automatically dropped my hands on the table, it was so strong that almost the whole table shook.

I noticed that James tumbled down from his chair.

“This can’t be! Can’t you just ask Melissa Reynolds? She’s more appropriate for this kind of job! She’s the smartest one in our grade and I think she has all the time in the world in tutoring James.” I protested, as I balled my fists.

Yes. That is where it all began. This emotional roller coaster started right at that very moment. Fate was playing tricks with me and I knew it. I was dug in like a tick. At first, I just ignored it. But now I just have to face him.

I wanted to change him. I wanted to change his ways. Changing him won't hurt, right?