9

Titus and I sat on the couch waiting for Christian to come home. He laid his arm around my shoulders; I snuggled closer to him and rested my head on his shoulder. I loved when we had time together but I also loved time with both of the males in my life.

"Do you know how amazing you are?" He asked.

"Ummm, I think you should tell me."

He laughed lightly, "So amazing that if I hadn't been destined to be with you, I would want to be anyway."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Remember, when I first saw you, I had no idea you were my mate."

That was true. When he saw me, he was intrigued and that was why he went inside the coffee shop. I wondered what life would be like if he hadn't happened to be walking by or if I had decided to study instead I going for a run.

I heard Derek pull into the driveway and within seconds, Christian threw the front door open. He ran full force and jumped into Titus; it was a good thing Titus had lightening quick reflexes or Christian could have been hurt.

"That movie was awesome!" Christian exclaimed.

"What'd you see?" Titus asked.

"Thor!"

I laughed lightly and half waved at Derek. He looked a lot like Titus just a few years younger and slightly smaller since he wasn't in line for the Beta title.

He sat on one of the arm chairs silently. Something was slightly off about his demeanor but I didn't want to bring it up in front of Christian.

"Why don't you go upstairs and get ready for bed," Titus said.

Christian kissed my cheek and ran upstairs. I watched as his small figure retreated up the steps and around the corner.

"Did you load him up with sugar?" Titus asked Derek.

"Na. He's just excited," he said offhandedly, "Look, there's something you should know... I saw Claire."

Titus instantly stiffened at the mention of this Claire person. I was on guard because he seemed affected by the name of this woman. Who was she and why did he have such a reaction to her name.

"Where?"

"At the restaurant. She came up and said hi to Matt and Dylan then she said hi to Christian. He didn't recognize her or anything and Becca just told him that she used to belong to the pack."

"Why did you even let her get that close," Titus demanded clearly angry with his younger brother.

"I didn't know. She came out of left field and was at the table before anyone even knew she was in the restaurant. What did you want me to do? Scare the hell out of Christian by demanding she leave?"

Titus rubbed his face in frustration, "Fine. Find her and get rid of her."

"What's going on?" I asked in confusion.

Titus sighed but Derek answered for him, "She's Christian's mother."

"No she is not," Titus defended, "What is she doing here?"

Titus had never told me her name and I never cared to know or ask. She wasn't supposed to be a part of our lives. Titus had assured me she would never come back but that was out the window now.

"I don't know. She said she was going to be in town for awhile."

"No she's not." Titus said with finality, "Bring her to my office tomorrow."

My attention shot to Titus. I did not want her alone with him in his office. Call me crazy, but she had a reason for coming here. Whether it was for Christian or Titus, I didn't care. She wouldn't get near either of them while I was alive.

"I'll try to find her. What time?"

"As soon as you track her down, bring her to me."

I sat in silence as Derek left. Titus stood and absently walked around the living room. He was clearly angry but worried. I wasn't sure what would happen with Claire but I was sure I didn't want her alone with my husband or son.

"I never thought she would come back," he said.

"Well, she did," I replied bitterly, "Obviously she has been here because she knows what Christian looks like."

Titus didn't respond. He only looked at the floor in concentration.

"You're really going to meet with her?" I asked. I really tried to keep my jealousy under control because I had no reason to be jealous. I knew he loved me but the thought of another woman having residual feelings for Titus had my blood boiling.

"Yes. Why?"

I shrugged.

"You have got to be kidding. Are you seriously jealous?"

I didn't really respond. I didn't have to; he knew the answer to that question without me having to verbalize.

"This is ridiculous. You have no damn reason to be jealous, Elizabeth."

Something about the way he was instantly defensive made me mad. I almost never got mad especially not with Titus but this was different. Why couldn't he just ban her from the territory? Why would he want to meet with her privately?

"Why wouldn't you just ban her?" I asked evenly.

"And turn her rogue? That's cruel."

"If she is going to be an issue and try to be a part of Christian's life, she deserves it."

"I am going to talk to her tomorrow. Maybe she hasn't realized you are in his life."

I scoffed, "Don't be so naive, Titus. If she knows what he looks like, that probably means she has seen me with him. She knows and she doesn't care."

"She's not like that," he said, brushing me off.

"Oh, really? And you're still an expert on her personality?" I asked.

"Stop it," he said in that authoritative tone that had the wolf in me cowering but my human side was furious.

I shot up and started storming upstairs before I turned back to him.

"Don't ever use that tone on me again," I warned.

"Don't accuse me of having feelings for her," he shot back.

"I didn't accuse you of anything! You are defending her!"

"I'm not defending her! I'm trying to make you think straight but god forbid you do that when it's necessary!"

That certainly caught me off guard. We never fought so this was all new to me and I hated it. I didn't want to be mad at him and I knew I was being irrational but I wasn't backing down at this point.

"All I ever do is think straight just like I am now! You would be furious if I met privately with my ex fiancé!"

"That's different," he said.

"No it's not. Put yourself in my position for once, Titus! You were going to marry her and you had a son with her. What do you think it looks like when you want to meet up with her?"

"It looks like I'm being a Beta and a father. You're being ridiculous, Elizabeth."

"Momma?" Christian asked from the top of the stairs.

My eyes shot to his confused expression. He had never heard us fight because we never did so this was probably scaring him. I instantly felt bad but not in regards to Titus.

"Come on, Christian. I'll tuck you in," I said as I met him at the landing.

I left the fight but I knew it wasn't over. Nothing was resolved and I hated to go to bed mad especially after the night we just had but I wasn't going to apologize. I had no reason to.

VOTE. COMMENT. FOLLOW