Chapter 6: Paying the bills

This chapter is a little long. Sorry :) lol

--------------

Avery

We have been running for about 2 hours now. I don't know where I'm going, but about 15 minutes into the run, Lilly spotted a road off to the side. So here I am, a giant fox with a 6 year old riding on my back running along the side of the road. Nothing to see here! (Sorry, that part made me think of Jeremy Clarkson off of Top Gear. The British version of course.)

But we are still running in the woods because I don't want anyone driving down the road to see us. That would be very....very....VERY bad.

"Avery." I heard Lilly's sleepy voice. I stopped running and stood there and looked at her so she knows to continue talking. "I'm hungry." I felt her stomach growl and I let out a fox laugh. My laugh sounds very strange in this form. It sounds like I'm coughing and growling at the same time. "Don't laugh at me." She said hitting the top of my head. I nodded and kept on running to find her some food.

I saw some houses so I thought it would be best to change back.

After I changed back, we continue walking up the road to the town. "Hey." Lilly said looking around. "This is our town." She said with a huge smile.

I looked around and noticed it was. "Come on. Let's go talk to mom!" I yelled.

We made it to the hospital in record timing and ran through the halls.

When we got to our mom's room, we opened the door and saw Susie, Earl, and my mom crying. Did her test results get worse? I started to panic.

"Mom, are you okay?" I asked frantic.

All three heads snapped to me and their eyes opened wide. "Av-Avery?" My mom stuttered.

"Ya?" I asked. Why are they crying?

"You're alive!" Susie screamed and ran towards me and Lilly.

Susie pulled me into a tight hug and Earl ran towards Lilly.

"Oh my gosh. I was so worried. You didn't show up for work at the diner last night, or at the library today." Susie rushed out and squeezed me harder. Oh shit! I forgot about that!

"I'm so sorry I didn't show up. Some things.....uh came up." I told her.

"Your mother almost sent out a search party." Earl chuckled.

Susie let go of me and I ran towards my mom. "Mom." I laughed at her.

"Avery Lynn Williams. Do you know how worried I was?!" My mom screamed at me. Crap, the full name came out.

I looked down and twirled my thumbs. "Sorry mom."

She laughed and pulled me in for another hug. "It's okay."

"Why didn't you tell us that you could turn into a fox?" Susie said crossing her arms at me.

I froze. My mom didn't.... I turned to look at my mom and glared at her. "Mother."

"I'm sorry Avery. But they are your godparents. They deserved to know and what if something ever happens to me, they would need to know this." My mom tried to explain.

"That's not the point mom. You promised to not tell anyone."

"I know and I'm sorry."

I groaned. "Sorry Susie, but Red told me I couldn't tell anyone. And my mother was an exception."

"It's alright dear. But who is Red?" Susie said.

"My fox. She's inside of me."

"That's uh.....strange." She laughed.