Chapter One: A Grey Departure

.:. Here is chapter one! Read it and tell me what you think of it, constructive criticism is welcome!

Enjoy!

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Rain

Chapter One

A Grey Departure

Melody's P.O.V

The clouds huddled together conspicuously, their dark curves moved across the sky as small droplets of rain began to fall to the dry ground. Thunder roared from the clouds as a flash of lightning flew across the sky and disappeared almost instantly. I leaned back into the cushioned chair and looked away from the small, oval window. I breathed in a low breath as I dug my nails into the armrest, bracing myself for impact. I pulled my small pink phone out of my grey bag and looked down at the bright screen.

Four-thirty p.m.

The plane should be taking off soon. Very soon. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit down on my lower lip, tightening my grip on the armrest. I grabbed onto a lock of my black hair with my other hand and entwined my pale fingers into the many curls.

I gasped in fright as the door of the plane swung open and smashed against the white wall. A heavyset man wearing a brown trench coat stumbled onto the plane, he exchanged a quick conversation with the stewardess before he began walking down the aisle of the near empty plane. A stream of rainwater ran down his face and soaked into his dark coat, drenching him from head-to-toe.

The distinct acidic stench of rainwater flooded my nostrils as the man walked past me. I looked down the aisle and peered down at the trail of water the man had left behind. The red carpet darkened in colour as the water soaked into the fabric. I leaned back into the chair and exhaled an unsteady breath, preparing myself for the inevitable.

The man sitting in the seat in front of me turned around with a questionable look. I pulled at the corners of my mouth until I formed what I hoped was a reassuring smile. Once he turned around I dropped the smile and replaced it with a frown. I focused my thoughts on the small bronze curls on the back of the mans head, distracting myself from the sickening feeling rising in my throat.

I unbuckled my seat belt and stood up. I scanned the plane hastily until my eyes locked onto the small bathroom door. I squeezed out of the small space of seats and rushed down the aisle towards the bathroom.

"Excuse me ma'am, you need to return to your seat!" One of the stewardess exclaimed as I locked myself in the small confining room. I completely ignored her and instead threw up in the toilet, narrowly missing the tiled flooring in the process.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and splashed cold water over my face. I looked up at my reflection in the mirror and caught hold of my pale blue eyes. The dark bags under my eyes mixed with my pale complexion only reflected how I felt. Sick. Very, very sick.

"Ma'am are you alright?" The stewardess asked. The three loud knocks she placed on the thin door threw me out of my trance and brought me back to reality. I opened the door and found a small blond woman wearing a flight attendant outfit, she looked up at me with concern while she fiddled with her small hands.

"I'm fine, just a bit sick," I explained, grabbing onto the door for support.

"I'll get you a glass of water after the plane has taken off." She responded, lightly grabbing onto my shoulders and leading me down the aisle. She pushed me into a row of seats and buckled the seat belt for me. She hurried back down the aisle and disappeared behind a blue curtain.

I turned around in my seat and plucked my grey bag from the seats behind me. I plopped the small bag on my lap and closed my eyes, gritting my teeth. The Pilot explained the procedure and told us when we would be arriving in New York. A small whimper escaped my throat when I heard "twenty-two hours". Twenty two freaking hours of this!