Chapter 19

I laugh, I don't know why but I laugh at his words, at the ridiculousness of them.

He stares at me passively smirking, "I am glad you find it amusing, Leyla."

I frown my mirth gone. "Seriously what do you want?"

"I told you...You."

I glare at him, my expression telling him fully well that I have no time for his games.

Just as he is about to speak again, Jules makes an appearance with my lunch.

"Deli sandwich and chocolate muffin for you Miss Lev--" Jules chides in, handing me my plate, however she stops once she casts her eyes towards Matthew.

"Hi." Matthew grins at her, a smile that doesn't reach his eyes before he moves back to staring at me.

I ignore him as the hunger sets in and I give my full attention to my meal.

"H-hi," She stutters and clears her throat. "What can I get you?"

I gape at her. This was a first. She never stutters or falters when it comes to customers.

I watch her stare nervously at him but the gleam I catch in her eyes, tell me fully well that she is attracted to him.

"I'll have what she's having." Matthew answers her, glancing briefly at her before going back to staring me.

"I'm trying to eat."

"And?"

"Can you not stare at me," I glare at him.

He chuckles and my glare increase.

"Why are you even here, Matthew, are you following me? Why is your agenda always to ruin my day?" I lose it.

He frowns in thin air, looking away.

"Can I ask you something?" He asks.

I huff in fury, "What?"

He looks back at me, and I catch something in his eyes, a distant refrained longing.

"If...if it had been me on that night you met my brother, would you have..." He doesn't finish his sentence but I know exactly what he is referring to.

It is my turn to look away.

However, Jules appears again and I smile gratefully at her for her distraction.

I don't answer him because he knows fully well what my answer will be?

In truth, I would have gone with whoever would have paid me afterwards.

"Thank you." He smiles at Julie and I hear her inaudible gasp. If I weren't so tuned out by anger for him, I think I would have found this amusing.

He eats his share as I finish mine and Julie reluctantly moves to serve another customer.

I feel bad, I should have made introductions.

I feel his burning stare at my face.

"Would you?" He asks again.

I look at him, trying to gauge his state of approach. What exactly is his game this time?

"What do you want me to say, Matthew?" I hiss at him.

"That yes, I would have? That yes, I would have went with any man that night? Is that what you want me to admit? That yes, I was so low and desperate I would consider prostitution!" My anger palpitates, and I don't realize there are tears in my eyes until they dribble in my hand.