Omelets And Babysitters

Jacen's POV

"Wake up."

The words were harsh and demanding, making it clear that defiance would not be tolerated. But still, I had to try. Moaning, I rolled over and away from the voice, pulling the covers over my head.

"Jacen," the familiar voice replied shortly, accompanied by a kick to my bed. "Wake up."

"Go away Odette," I whined in annoyance.

"Jacen Alexander Sage get your ass out of bed right now or I will mount it over the fireplace," she vowed.

"It won't match the décor," I informed her sourly, "But do whatever you like. As long as you let me sleep I do not care."

"Jacen I am already pissed at you, don't make it worse," she threatened.

"Oh fine," I groaned, throwing myself into a sitting position. Vertigo overtook me as I pressed a hand to my spinning head. It took a moment for my vision to clear but when it did I could see Odette standing next to my bed, looking royally pissed.

"And what time did you crawl in last night?" she asked, her arms crossed over her chest. The move was meant to make her look more intimidating. She could use all the help she could get; she didn't exactly look threatening in her jammies.

"I don't know; midnight maybe," I mumbled.

"You were trying to avoid me, weren't you?"

"No I was trying to avoid my warm bed and over the counter pain killers," I said sarcastically, "I mean, you know how much those suck when you have a hangover."

"Don't be a smartass Jacen," she said angrily, "I was really worried about you yesterday! You didn't come home, you didn't call . . . You could have been dead in a ditch for all I knew!"

"Clearly, I wasn't. And if I was and somehow came back to life, then we have more important things to deal with because I may be Jesus."

She gave me an annoyed look. "Stop joking. You may not have been dead in a ditch but you could've been! I mean, you run away, you drink, you do drugs, you disappear for days at a time . . . You're reckless Jacen. You have no common sense so every time you vanish I can't help but worry that you're dead in a ditch! I-,"

"Okay where is this damn ditch you keep talking about?" I demanded.

"You know what I mean Jacen," she said, giving me an intolerant look, "It's very possible that one time you'll go to one of these parties and never come back. I mean, you're irresponsible. You can't even take care of yourself. I mean, look at you! You're all banged up! Look at that awful bruise! Did you get in another fight?"

"Yeah. With the floor. As you can tell, it won."

"Did you fall?"

"What a stupid question. Of course I did. More than once," I muttered, kicking the blanket off of me. Underneath, I was fully dressed. I'd crawled into bed last night wearing everything but my boots.

"How much did you have to drink?" she interrogated me further. Sometimes she changed subjects so fast it made me dizzy.

"I don't fucking know," I said, getting annoyed, "Do you honestly think I take out a measuring cup and measure out each shot before I take it?"

She sighed. "Did you do any drugs?" Another subject change. Delightful. My head was spinning.

"No," I said automatically, rubbing my eyes and swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

"Are you sure?"

"Well I did plunge a suspicious needle into my arm. But the sickly guy who gave it to me said it was just water. Well that or heroine. I guess I forgot."