Chapter 3

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you guys like this chapter; I enjoyed writing it. I understand that some of the timeline (the period of time between events) is inconsistent with the canon, but I hope you guys will forgive me as I needed it to fit in with my story line. Happy reading!

‘To do what is right’

Chapter 3

When Severus emerged from the Pensieve he was more than eager to lock himself in his quarters and never come out. But of course, he had to confront both Albus and Harry before he could relax or at least attempt to. Severus didn’t know how much more he could take.

“Severus, did you remember to secure the castle?” was the first thing Albus asked the moment he saw Severus emerge.

Snape nodded, not being bothered to point out to the old man that of course he wouldn’t dare forget again.

“What did Voldemort want?” Was Albus’ next question.

Snape turned on him, evidently tired, exhausted but nevertheless furious.

“I will tell you another time, I have the most splitting headache,” Severus mumbled, rubbing his temples.

“Voldemort didn’t manage to successfully…” but Albus didn’t need to finish the sentence, for Severus knew his concerns.

“Do not concern yourself, Albus, the Dark Lord does not know anything about your plan- he did not manage to break my defenses, much to my astonishment. And no Albus, I did not let anything slip- I retained my role as spy. Are you satisfied? Your brilliant plan is still safe- I have not failed you yet,” Severus said bitterly, staring avidly at Dumbledore.

Albus was shocked by Snape’s sudden outburst considering the man was so evidently exhausted. But there was one more thing Albus wanted to address before he let Severus go for the night.

“Your Patronus is still a doe,” he remarked gently.

“Of course it is still a doe! You know I never stopped loving her!” Severus responded almost hysterically.

“I thought that perhaps it was temporary…”

“Well evidently you were wrong Albus.” Severus paused momentarily as he swayed on the spot. Holding his head and grabbing onto the railings that lead to his sleeping quarters, Severus stated: “I am going to bed before I collapse,” as he walked up the stairs. “Good night,” the man added only just loud enough for Albus to hear.

“Good night, Severus.”

Professor Dumbledore did not have to wait long before Harry emerged out of the Pensieve and it amused Albus greatly that the boy appeared happily shocked yet content by what he had seen.

“Where is Professor Snape?” was the first thing Harry asked when he realized the room was empty and Albus was staring at him.

“He is resting, Harry.”

“Oh,” Harry was slightly crestfallen. “Well I guess I will say good bye to him later, there’s some things I wanted to ask you, is that okay?”

“Of course, whenever you are ready,” Dumbledore welcomed, his bright blue eyes twinkling.

“Is the fact that Professor Snape shared my mother’s Patronus one of the reasons why you trusted him?”

“Well as you may or may not know, I was not aware that Severus’ Patronus was a doe until after he had already turned spy for me. While it gave me more confidence, it was not the reason why I trusted him in the first place,” he explained.