Chapter One

Summary: After a shocking discovery, Bella is forced out of her rainy, northwestern home and takes up residence in sunny Jacksonville, Florida. While she expects her life with vampires is over, she is unknowingly moving deeper into supernatural waters. After all, there's always a bigger fish!

Disclaimer: All recognizable material is the property of their respective owners. The Walkers and their history are my property, and are therefore copyrighted. This story is for entertainment purposes only--no copyright infringement intended.

Chapter One

I closed my eyes, wishing that I wasn't there, that everything had not happened, hoping that I was somehow still living in Forks, but I was in the same spot when I reopened them. The interior of the plane was still bland, the stewardesses still seemed fake, and the ones I had once considered family were slowly becoming a distant memory. Even as I tried to remember how Edward had looked the moment he had ripped my heart out, I realized there were noticeable holes in my memory of him.

I guess my head really is like a sieve.

My stomach gurgled, reminding me I had failed to eat before boarding the plane, and I twisted in discomfort. I knew I should eat, or I should make some attempt to keep myself healthy, but I just couldn't find the will to care. All purpose and meaning I'd had in my life vacated my body and had been expunged from my chest, leaving behind a pulsating wound. I attempted to redirect my thoughts, but found it nearly impossible; I was either focusing on Edward, Alice…or the rest of the Cullens.

When the captain came on the loudspeaker, I was startled out of my thoughts. He informed the passengers we were beginning our descent into Jacksonville. My heart started to slow down when the intercom cut off, and I glanced out the window. There were sparse clouds in the bright blue sky, and the sun made the ground shimmer below. The difference between where I'd been and where I was going was stark in contrast. Forks had constant cloud cover, with rain soaking the town most of the year. I wasn't sure what the average rainfall for Jacksonville was, but I was positive it wouldn't come close to Washington's.

I took a breath and gripped the armrests as I felt the pain in my chest return. Despite my better judgment, I thought back to everything that had happened since I first left my mother. I had discovered love, vampires, and heartbreak in less than eight months.

Funny, it seems so short…now that I've lost everything that mattered.

Edward had ghosted into my life and had left just as quickly—or, had he? The ragged hole in my heart blazed as I remembered the shocking end to my stay in Forks, Washington.

One week; that was how long it had taken for me to regain motion after I had been found. Edward had left me in the middle of the forest in the freezing rain, and I had mistakenly tried to follow him through the trees. I ended up being found by one of the boys from the reservation—three hours after he had vanished. However, that wasn't the worst of it all…not by a long shot. I sucked in a mouthful of air as one of the most devastating memories came back to me.

-

-

Despite Charlie's suggestion I take another week off, I'd convinced myself going back to school was the best move. I wasn't sure why I made this decision; I couldn't really see the benefit of it. The halls of Forks High School would only be a memento of everything I had lost. Regardless, an hour after waking up, I found myself driving into the familiar parking lot.

Pulling into school was a harsh reminder of the town I lived in; everyone who saw me looked as if they expected me to spontaneously combust. Even Mike, Jessica, Tyler, and Eric, my human friends, were trying not to make it obvious that they were gawking. Apparently, the word had spread about the break up and how I'd been found in the woods. Perfect…even more attention than I desired.