Chapter 11: Intervention

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 11

'Intervention'

A pile of homework was spread across Jasmine’s desk as she stepped into her room after taking a quick shower. School had been driving her nuts, the heap of work only increasing with every class she attended. The teachers seriously didn’t have any mercy with their students and their lack of free time.

She’d just opened her Chemistry textbook when her cell phone started ringing. Cursing, she searched for the device, finally spotting it between her school diary and History paper. Ugh. Her sloppiness was turning into a problem. She couldn’t find anything in the unorganized mess across her room.

“Jasmine Price speaking,” she answered without looking at the caller ID as she tried to tidy up the clutter she made on her desk. Her grandmother would have gone ballistic if she saw Jasmine’s room. Theresa was known to be a neat freak. She liked to have every element of her life tidy and in order.

“Jas, it’s me! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” she heard Lucy scream from the other side of the line. Jasmine quickly put some space between the phone and her ear to avoid damage to her hearing, and waited for Lucy to calm down. Clearly something exciting happened to get Lucy that riled up.  

“Yes?” Jasmine asked as her friend finally shut up after a good 40 seconds of squealing and blabbering. Honestly, she had never heard Lucy going crazy like that.

“I went on a date with Nate!” the redhead cried out before she started mumbling another series of ‘Oh my gosh’ and ‘Holy shit’.

“That’s great!” Jasmine replied, smiling to herself. The crush Lucy had developed for Nathan had only grown stronger the more time she spent with him. Her cheeks always flushed bright red when he was around and a shy smile took place across her face. Jasmine was usually allergic to that kind of puppy love, but somehow Lucy made it look cute.

“During Thanksgiving he asked me out, but I never expected him to actually follow through. I mean…he has dozens of girls begging for his attention. I could never stand out amongst them. I’m just…me,” Lucy explained, seeming uncertain and confused.

“Please, Luce, you outshine every one of them. You’re beautiful, kindhearted and honest to the bone. You’ve got spunk and a strong personality. None of those bimbo’s could take you on, you’d beat them before they had the time to count to three. Nothing is more alluring than a beauty with brains,” she retorted, not liking how her friend was talking herself down.

“I don’t know, Jas. They’re pretty intimidating,” Lucy replied somberly. Years of being bullied had ruined her self-esteem completely.

“They’re only intimidating if you let them. Anyway, a happier subject, how did the date go?” Jasmine interrupted, changing the topic of their conversation. Moments ago Lucy had seemed exhilarated, but her excitement was quickly ebbing away by talking about her competitors.

“It was great, perfect even,” Lucy exclaimed, happiness detectable in her voice again. All thoughts about the girls Nathan usually hangs out with seemed to have magically disappeared from her mind by talking about her date. “I still can’t believe he’s such a romantic. Honestly, I didn’t know what I was expecting, but this was certainly not it!”

“Where did he take you?” Jasmine asked curiously. Nathan never really seemed like a romantic guy that would wine and dine his love interests, but apparently Jasmine had been wrong about him. It seemed like he genuinely surprised Lucy.