Chapter 1

Chapter 1

18 years later - Clarissa

It was a hot July morning in New York. As always, the streets of Manhattan were busy with people rushing to get to work and tourist walking around. My curios gaze followed the passing bodies. On a normal day it was one of my favorite things to do. I always come and sit down at the outdoor cafe and watch people just to pass time. It was a great thing to do instead of going back home.

But today was different. Today I was looking for a specific person who would help me get some information that I needed.

My eyes scanned the sidewalks and streets hoping to catch a glimpse of the man I was looking for, my stepfather. My eyes landed on a man wearing slacks and a white button up who was trying to make his way through the sea of people. I smiled and waved at him as he got closer.

It had been way to long since I last saw him, maybe 3 or 4 months? My mother, Andrea, refused to let me see him after they broke up. But today is my birthday, now that I'm 18 she can't really stop me. Or so I like to tell myself.

Chris, my stepfather, was the most loving person I had ever met. He loved me like I was his own kid. He was always defending me from my mother's accusations and attacks. He couldn't stand to see the way my mother treated me so he broke things off with her.

See the thing with my mother and her hate towards me is that I reminded her too much of my real father. She would always tell me stories of how much of a horrible man he was and how he left her when he found out she was pregnant with me. She said she couldn't look at me without being reminded of the things he did to her. In spite of everything that she said I still wanted to meet my father. I wanted to see if everything she said was true.

The reason for that was because she normally said those things when she was completely and utterly drunk. The remaining of the time that she was sober, which was rare, she mostly spent it either glaring at me or ignoring my existence.

"Happy birthday Clarissa! How are you?" Chris says as he sets his brief case down on the table I was sitting down at.

"Thanks dad. I'm good, how are you?"

Chris smiles at my words. Ever since I could remember, Chris has been there for me. I called him father because that is exactly what he was and still is to me. He was a good father figure and he never treated me like I wasn't one of his own.

"I'm doing great. Sorry I'm a few minutes late. I got here as soon as I could." He opens up his brief case and pulls out a small box. "Here I bought you a present."

"I'm glad you're doing fine." I say with a smile and grab the small box from him. I let out a small 'oh' from my lips as I open the box and admire the gold necklace nestled in it. "This is beautiful. Thank you!" Within seconds I'm standing up and giving him a tight hug.

He hugs me back and lets out a chuckle. "No problem kiddo." We both sit down. I slip my present into my purse and take sip of my iced coffee.

"Did you get the information?" I ask with a small smile as my eyes glance at the brief case he just placed on the side of his chair.

"I sure did kid." He folds his hands in front of him. "But before I give it to you, I need to know why you need it. What are you going to accomplish after obtaining this information?"

I could tell from the tone of his voice that he was worried about me. Biting my lip I thought about my plan. I had sent Chris a text yesterday asking him if he could find information on my biological father. He was a lawyer that worked for a big firm in New York and I knew he could find the information I needed. At first he refused but I convinced him in the end.