Chapter Thirteen - The Hospital (Part 2)

Hello! I'm not rambling until the end, so here it is, Chapter 13!

It's all Louis' POV;

See you at the end!

*

Recap ;

Just under a half hour later, the doctor came back. We all looked up, waiting for his words.

“It’s Harry,” he began in a monotonous voice, “He’s–” 

I froze.

*

Chapter 13 - The Hospital (Part 2) ;

Still Louis’ POV ; 

“–not going to die.” The doctor continued.

My whole body relaxed, “He’s not?” I asked, I needed confirmation.

“No, the chances of him dying are one in a million right now.” said the doctor.

I let out a huge sigh. He wasn’t going to die! He’d be alright!

“However, there is something I do need to tell you...” the doctor said.

“What?” my heart sinking slightly.

“Well, we thought he wouldn’t be in the coma for too long, but when he fell, his head hit the concrete pretty hard, so he has a concussion. We did get all of the drug out of his system. The blood test results told us that it was GHB, which is a very strong depressant and anesthetic. It’s colourless and odorless, which is why none of you would have noticed it. The drug caused him to lose balance, fall to the ground, knocking him unconscious. The large amount of the drug mixed with his alcohol consumption caused the drug to take effect faster, and caused the overdose.”

I paused to take in everything the doctor had said, before taking a deep breath and asking quietly, “How long will he be in a coma?”

“Right now we’re unsure, but it could be anywhere from a day to a week to a few months or longer.”

....or longer?

I didn’t need to look at anyone else in the room to know that they were looking at me. I only had to ask one more question.

“When can we see him?” I whispered.

“You can see him now if you’d like. Just a few at a time.” said the doctor, walking back out of the waiting room. I followed him, but no one came with me. I walked into the room.

What I saw scared me. Harry was lying there, lifeless, like he was already dead. He was pale, and tied to machines around him. I slumped into the chair beside his bed, taking his hand in mine. It was cold. I felt the tears begin to stream down my face. I didn’t know how long ‘longer’ would be, and that scared me far beyond anything I've ever experienced.  

“We’ve found sometimes that when people talk to the one that is unconscious that it can help them to wake up earlier,” the doctor said quietly behind me.

I turned to look at him, swiping away a stray tear, “Talk to him? Can he even hear me?”

“Well yes, in a way, he’ll know you’re there, especially if he has a really close relationship with you.”

I turned to look back at Harry's unmoving body. Talk to him? What could I even say? How much can a person say to someone in a coma?

I heard the doctor leave the room behind me. My eyes didn’t leave Harry’s unconscious face. I tried to say something, but just sighed. I couldn’t say anything, it felt stupid. He wouldn’t even hear me. I heard the door open behind me again. I looked to the side to see Niall and Ella walk in. I just turned back to Harry. I heard them behind me for a while, before they left. Then the others came in, or less, I didn’t know. I wasn’t looking at them, I just stared at Harry, willing him to wake up.