Chapter 14

"Okay, and remember--"

"I know," I sighed impatiently."Take it easy and remember to take the pills once a day."

"Good girl," The nurse smiled, patting my shoulder awkwardly. "Make a good recovery now. Best of luck."

Yeah, whatever. I hopped from foot to foot impatiently. I just wanted to go home.

She handed me my bag. "Your ride is waiting for you in the reception."

"Okay, thanks." I called over my shoulder, already speed-walking down the corridor.

I arrived in the small reception. There was a large bottle blond woman seated behind a freakishly tidy desk, filing her blood red nails. The walls were painted a sickly pale green, and there were several ratty brown armchairs around a small coffee table groaning with the weight of magazines and an unhealthy looking potted plant. I searched for Avery, who had promised to come pick me up.

Sitting in an armchair, staring directly at me was Zayden. He looked out of place in a room like this, in his dark jeans, with a dark grey button-down,black jacket and black converse. There was a pretty girl with large grey eyes and shiny, glossy auburn hair staring at him. He stood up. I hurriedly turned around, a lame attempt at pretending not to see him, but it was too late. He walked over to me.

"Ready to go?" he asked from close behind me.

"Um, sorry?" I asked, looking back to him. He was a lot taller than me, but then again, that wasn't hard considering my petite build of 5"4. I looked around again, and noticed the girl with auburn hair staring at us enviously. She looked quickly away when I glared at her.

He sighed impatiently like I was stupid. "Avery couldn't make it," He pronounced each word slowly, deliberately, as though he was talking to someone who was mentally challenged. "No-one else wanted to, or could, pick you up. She sent me. Come on, let's go." And with that, he turned and walked out of the automatic doors quickly. I quickly followed so I didn't look even more stupid.

His car was red, small, and pretty beat up. I was surprised. I was expecting a shiny, glossy sports car, or something. He looked up at me after he unlocked the doors.

"You getting in or what?"

I glared at him with all the venom I could muster, before opening the door and climbing in as gracefully as I could manage. I banged my head on the top of the doorframe as I clambered in. "Ouch," I muttered, rubbing my forehead. So much for grace and elegance.

"Careful." Zayden murmured softly, looking at me again. His eyes were the colour of the ocean. His hand moved from the wheel, toward me, but then he changed is mind and hurriedly placed it back on the wheel. He muttered something angrily under his breath, before reversing sharply out of the space, and driving out of the parking lot.

~*~

On the ride home, you could cut the tension with a knife. The only time he spoke to me was to ask where I lived. I told him the address, he nodded, turned back to the front, end of conversation. It gradually got darker. It was a long ride, mainly because this was the nearest hospital to Buffield, five towns away.

He turned on the radio. It was playing one of my favourite Paramore songs, Let The Flames Begin. I smiled. Noticing, he turned it up slightly. He started singing along under his breath.

"To let the flames begin, Oh glory."

"You like Paramore?" I said.

He shrugged. "They're okay."

"What's your favourite band then?" I asked, curious.

He looked at me. "I don't have one."

"Okay, one of your favorite bands."

He looked at me again, a small smile playing across his perfect lips that made my heart flutter.

"Why should I tell you? Give me a good reason."

Hayley Williams sung along in the background.

"Somewhere weakness is a strength, and I'll die searching for it. I can't let myself regret such selfishness."

I shrugged. "Chill. It was just a question." My tone was defensive.

We went back to an awkward silence. The song finished.

His hands gripped the steering wheel; His knuckles were turning white.

It was only when he stopped that I realised I was home. He sat, motionless, his face unreadable, clearly waiting for me to get out of his car. He beagn to drum his fingers impatiently on the dashboard.

"Um, guess I'll see you tommorrow then." I said.

He nodded without looking at me.

What a jerk. I opened the door and climbed out. Just as I was about to close it, I looked back at him. I don't know why. I just did. He was staring at me with a sort of....I didn't know quite how to describe his expression. Probably a mixture of Anger, confusion, sadness and ... hunger? It made my stomach do flips and my heartbeat pick up speed rapidly.

"Goodnight, Adira." He whispered. The way he said my name....

I nodded, closing the door. I didn't speak. I seemed to be having difficulty breathing. I didn't trust my voice at this moment in time.

I stood on the sidewalk in the dark, watching his car drive away, getting smaller and smaller until it disappeared into the night.

"Goodnight Zayden." I whispered to myself.

I was alone again.