Chapter 46 - Understanding

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 46 – Understanding

I opened my eyes. My throat burned so I gasped for breath. Miraculously, it was air, not water that entered my lungs.

“That was close,” said Nathan as he sat on the ground panting and dripping wet. If that was concern on his face, I couldn’t be really sure.

With an effort, I sat weakly and clutched on my chest coughing as I did.

“Who in their right mind would jump into a thirty-foot deep pond for a stupid drawing?” He laughed quietly in relief. It was amazing how he and Leon had the same laugh.

I gawked at him for a few seconds before I could respond. “T-that was a perfectly good painting.” My voice was hoarse.

“We should go back. Can you walk?” he said.

“I think so.” I got up, wobbled a bit but I was perfectly fine. Nathan took a cautious step toward me, hesitated then turned to head back to the mansion.

“Wait!” I picked up the painting and took it with me.

There was an incredulous look on Nathan’s face when he saw me carrying his canvas. Apart from that, he said nothing and walked in front of me in silence. Only then did I realize everything. How could I have been so stupid? All my worries and speculations should have given me enough clues.

“In the concert... That was you.” I mumbled as though in a daze when we were halfway back to the mansion.

He paused almost automatically, glanced back at me and nodded.

“That dressing room in the concert—the one with a huge bowl of jelly beans—that was yours, wasn’t it?”

Nathan’s brows knitted as he nodded again. He stood in contemplative silence in front of me, hands clenched on his side, jaws tensing infinitesimally.

My thoughts raced uncontrollably. “It was Leon who played the last three piano songs and the rest of the concert it had been you who’d been performing for him.” It was as though the puzzle pieces were arranging themselves for me now. My head was in a jumble but it all just made sense. That was why I had all those hunches that Leon wasn’t quite himself in the concert; like I didn’t know him at all.

“How... How’d you know?” He looked surprised, almost amused.

I shrugged. “Instincts, I guess. Even though you two look very much alike, almost the same... I don’t know, maybe because you’re entirely different persons deep down. You’re you and Leon is Leon. Anyone would’ve noticed that.”

With something between a smile and a confused look, Nathan shook his head. “Not anyone. Even Louella couldn’t tell the difference most of the time.”

“Oh, so that note was for you! Now I just feel like a total idiot.” I slammed my palm on my forehead. That note from Louella plagued me for a long time. I worried for nothing and most of all I thought badly of Louella, especially Leon. I totally thought they were...

Nathan’s face might’ve blushed but it was hard to tell with the darkness. “You... you read that?” he muttered warily.

“Uh... that... Sorry.” I winced and took a step back just in case he decided to kill me for being a meddlesome moron. A gentle wind blew at us, rustling the leaves of the trees, swaying the grass on my feet like a lullaby. The air was cold and it took some effort to keep my teeth from rattling. “You know...” I started to say. “I think I understand why you’re doing all these things.”

 “You do? Really?” A cold chuckle came from his lips.

“Have you been locked up your entire life? Have you been thrown away to put up with a crazy bunch of crooks? Did you ever remember your mother giving you a look like you were some sort of abomination? Or did she want your perfect twin instead of you? While you who’d been there for her all the while, who did everything to try to make her happy...” Nathan gritted the words through his teeth. His shoulders shuddered with rage as though it had been the first time he was able to pour out all his frustrations. “I don’t think so.” He growled, his breathing ragged.

Gently, I shook my head. “No. But I know you’ve had a hard life. Maybe that’s why you’re... you. It doesn’t give you the right to be a total jerk and I know that you can actually strangle me right now, but somehow... somehow I can understand why. Leon knows that too but he just wouldn’t most likely show it since he’s one stupid boy—“ I bit my lip. I said boy like it was a bad thing and most of all, I probably shouldn’t have mentioned Leon.

Cautiously I met his eyes, anticipating a scowl but didn’t see one. Nathan just let out a deep sigh and pocketed his hands. After a few moments of silence, he laughed quietly.

Strangely he reminded me of Leon; how his musical laughter would make my heart skip a beat, how he’d hold back a smile when I did (or said) something practically stupid, or how the gap between his brows would furrow whenever he looked at me (it’s strange, I don’t know why but he does that). However, despite all the similarities, there was something about Nathan that made me wish I had an older brother.

A half-mad older brother.

“W-what?” I blurted at him.

He just shook his head and offered a hand. “Come on. Let’s get you into new clothes before your brain starts to freeze...”

“What’s so funny?” I demanded folding my arms on my chest.

Nathan shook his head holding back a smile as though saying “you don’t want to hear it,” but when I threw him my most dangerous glare, he cleared his throat and said it.

“Because you’re weird.”

“Okay... Uh, thanks?” I croaked hesitantly.

“Weird, like in a spirited way,” he mumbled shifting ons his feet. I just about gawked at him at that though I didn’t quite get what he meant. “And dangerously reckless, especially that. Like some girl who’d get two people drowned just for some blasted drawing,” he muttered under his breath as he led the way.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” I asked in a mock fashion.

“Nothing!” He raised both his hands without turning to look at me and continued walking. “Why would I say something to a demented walking death trap?”

Without apparent reason, I found myself smiling as I caught up with him. Nathan would’ve been an awesome big brother, alright. Crazy, but awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ehem! Yeah I know... It's late again. But... I finally figured out how this story would end. Maybe 10-15 more chapters. It seemed too long but I would be sad ending LATBNerdy without a blast (or at least make you smile... or cry... whichever). Well no matter what the case, I hope you're still there to supprt Nerdy til the end and know that I get my inspiration from all of your support! (that was long) Til next time!

Truckloads of Cookies,

~shim