Chapter 10

Sammy's POV

So it's been about a week now since Crow said we were getting a new addition to the "family." He has been way nicer to us, the freak even let us off punishment the same night he told us about his girlfriend, Crow took away the specific chores and now says just to make sure they are done an he doesn't care who does it.

Today I am doing the living room. As I wiped down the big windows I gazed at all the huge trees surrounding the house. I landed on one tree that had a branch that looped around like a seat, at home in my back yard I had a tree just like that.

When I was little me and my father would go out to the tree and he would boost me up so I could sit on the looped branch.

He only really took me out to the tree if he had to tell me that he was going to be deployed again. The tree ended up being a place I hated to go, I hated when my dad left and was away for so long even if it was for a good reason.

Looking at the tree now makes me sad, tears coat my eyes as I think about how my father is going to feel when he shares the same feeling I use to have when he was gone.

The feeling of not knowing how I am, if I'm going to make it home, or when I'm going to come back to him and my mother. The fact that he's going to have to worry like I did is terrible. I would never wish that feeling on anyone.

Silent tears fall down my face an I don't even bother to wipe them as I finish up the living room.

As I walk into the kitchen to put the cleaning supplies away, I see Anna finishing up the dishes.

"You know, things haven't been torturous around here lately." Anna said as she dried a pan. "I mean I really hate it here, but things could be worse right?" She shrugged.

I could tell by her tone of her voice she was trying to convince herself more than she was trying to convince me. So I just agreed with her and then continued to put the supplies away.

I decided to go up to my room and write in the journal that I began keeping a few days ago. The journal is the only thing keeping me sane in this sitiation. I write about my days and how I feel, and plus if there's a chance that I'm not going to make it out of here; I hope that one day when Crow gets busted someone will find my journal and get to understand how I was thinking.

***

Journal #3

Dear journal,

Last night I got no sleep. Neither did Melody she was up all night rocking back and forth in her cage. The poor bird is going crazy. Scarlett is still being practically silent and hasn't said anything to me or Anna since the first night she told us about her.. Annaleigh is slowly losing it, she keeps trying to lie to herself telling herself that this hell hole isn't all that bad, and by the looks of it that lie is what's keeping her together. Scarlett isn't even effected by the whole situation, she seems so relaxed now, like this doesn't even bother her. The whole reason I am in this messed up situation is because I was trying to be a good person an see what was up with Scarlett at Mandy's house warming party, yet she doesn't even have the decency to share with us. We are all in this together and she acts like she's in this alone. I miss my parents journal, I still say our prayer every night, and I just discovered there is a tree out front that exactly like the one at home that my dad use to sit me on. I hope whoever finds the journals with be the one to take down crow. That's all for today Journal.. Until next time.

-Sammy .

After I'm done writing my journal entry I place it back inside my mattress. I managed to cut a hole just big enough to slide the notebook in. Crow would never even think to look in my mattress and plus when I make my bad the sheets cover the whole perfectly.