The Whys of Tyler's Temper

Start from the beginning

I was about to explode with absolute rage, a familiar red haze blinding my thoughts and filling me with the urge to go destroy anything and everything I could get my hands on… but I was reminded that Nash might cry and think I was mad at him. I forced a smile for him, not really knowing how he reacted because I can't fucking see. "The gun also has some kind of undetectable scanning system that allows it to recognize who or what it's going to shoot at..." West explained as I heard him step back. He used that tone…that tone…and I knew he could see it happening to me again.

"Alice," I said slowly. "Please take the cupcakes out of the oven while I go hug a tree."

"Uh ok."

I think I broke a table and...probably a uh vase or something? I don't really know. I was entering that red haze where I had to get rid of all the rage building inside me until I can calm down again. And it didn't help that I could not see a damn thing.

I wiped off some of the shit obscuring my goddamn vision and ran straight at the nearest tree. And let's just say that mother nature might possibly already have a bounty on my head for what I did to that tree. I felt sorry for it too once I got back to my senses.

The moment I got back inside the house Naomi threw a pillow at me. "Tyler, look at what you did to your mother's vase."

I looked at the damage. Yup, there is no way to salvage that thing. "I'm sorry." I meant it. I hated how I couldn’t control myself when shit like this happens to me.

She looked like she wanted to say more. But cut herself off and just went to me and gave me a hug. That made me feel ten times worse. It would've been better if she just scolded me. The hug was equivalent to knives slowly and torturously slicing up my insides. It reminds me of...

She let go of me and kissed my cheek. She gave me a smile. "Help me clean up."

My words got stuck. There was a painful lump in my throat and all I could croak out was, "Ok."

"You know, you're getting better at it." I glanced up to her from picking the broken pieces of the vase. "Getting better at what?"

"Controlling your temper." Naomi swapped places with me so that I could gather up the scattered parts of the wrecked table. "Well, this chaos I just caused says otherwise."

"I saw what you did there," Naomi insisted. "If you were the same as before then you would've exploded right then and there without thinking of Nash. But you held it in, even smiled at him too."

"I don't really..." I started, but then I cut my hand from picking up a stray broken piece of glass. I didn't say anything and hid the small bleeding from Naomi. Quickly gathering the mess, we placed it in a plastic bag and I hurriedly disposed of it. "You still haven't cleaned the slime off of yourself," Naomi pointed out. "Alice is in the kitchen with Nash and West. I think she has three towels and a pail of water ready for you."

I managed a smile before going to the kitchen. 

 "Ty!" Alice said immediately seeing me. Nash was turned towards me with chipmunk cheeks dusted with cupcake crumbs. He tried to open his mouth but couldn't. West welcomed me with a grin. "You're getting better at this, Ty," he complimented, raising one of the cupcakes.

"Thanks--" I was interrupted by the realization that Alice was already right in front of me. She tugged at my arm restlessly, alarm in her face when she saw the blood. I covered her mouth with my other hand before she could say anything to alert the others. I eyed her, warning her. Not a word. “Guys, Alice and I will head off to my room. She’s insisting on patching me up and I need to get a new slime-free shirt.”