Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

>+< Several hours prior >+<

Before the scream had even finished, Peter had already flown up the cliff to the area Kaytee bathed in. He was only met with her old pair of clothes left to dry on a rock in the sun. There was no sign of her in the water, and he didn't bother diving in to check: the scream had been further away, deeper in the jungle. Twigs snapped behind him and he crouched, baring his teeth, his hunting knife drawn in his right hand. He relaxed only slightly when it was just the Lost Boys crashing their way up the trail and soon they were at Peter's side, looking around with wide eyes at the obvious absence of their Mother.

"Peter," Nibs called to him, lowering down to the ground near the edge of the forest where he had lingered. Peter stalked over, shoulders tense and shaking. Nibs placed his index finger on one of two identical scrapes, framed by a set of footprints.

"Someone dragged her." Slightly whispered, observing the freshly turned dirt over Peter's shoulder, his face grim, "We must follow, before the trail goes cold and before they-" he didn't say it, but they all winced at it just the same: before they hurt her.

"We need weapons," Nibs said in a curt tone as he stood, "Whoever kidnapped her will be armed, no doubt."

Peter nodded gravely, but hated to stall their pursuit. The Underground Home was only a twenty minute walk away, but in the opposite direction of where the footsteps were headed. He could cut those numbers by more than half if he flew.

"I'll take Curly with me to grab our things," Peter said, Curly being the lightest of the older boys, therefore the best to fly with. Curly, hearing this, gathered up Kaytee's clothes, towel, and soap, and nodded his assent.

"The usual effects, lads?" Peter said without humor, taking Kaytee's items into his own arms so Curly could climb onto Peter's back with practiced ease.

"I'd beat them with a rock if I had to," Nibs sniffed indignantly, crossing his arms. Peter bobbed his head once in agreement.

"Slightly, take Tootles with you to see if there's a trail further in." Peter jumped into the air, ignoring the tightening of Curly's arm around his shoulders, "Nibs, stay with Twins. We won't be long."

They took just enough time to drop Kaytee's stuff through one of her tree-house's open-air windows, and then stuffed their arms with swords, daggers, and Nibs' bow and arrows, which Curly secured to his back. Peter sheathed his own golden sword on the opposite hip of his dagger, unable to appreciate its sheen at the moment.

"Who do you think could've taken her?" Curly whispered, just loud enough for Peter to hear over the wind in his ears.

"I don't know," He replied honestly, and then growled, "But whoever it is, they won't be breathing much longer."

When they returned, handing out the various weapons to their owners, Slightly had a rather pinched look upon his face. Peter's heart sunk into his stomach, "What? What have you found?"

"It's rather good news and bad news, Peter-"

"Get to it, Slightly!"

"Okay!" The dark haired boy held up his hands and urged for everyone to follow him into the jungle, where they continued on for a few paces. They stayed on the path marked by Kaytee's heels which had raked through the ground in an agonizing display of resistance, that seemed to squeeze a fist around Peter's already churning stomach.

Slightly stopped them after several yards, pointing towards the eastern side of the island, perpendicular to the direction they had been walking.

"This is where it gets touchy," he said, and bent down to the ground, "A second set of footprints starts here, at the same time the dragging appears to end. I believe they must've knocked her unconscious, for surely she must be giving them hell."