CHAPTER NINE: HISTORY ALWAYS REPEATS ITSELF

The adventure had begun. They were finally going sailing all four on her father’s yacht and Kate could hardly contain her excitement. Thankfully, Edward had not dared contradict her parents when they had insisted for her to go.

Smiling happily, she was waiting outside Jennifer’s room for her to finish packing before joining the guys downstairs when she caught sight of her father in the corridor.

“Dad!” she squealed and giggled like a schoolgirl when her father jumped out of his skin clearly not expecting her outburst.

“Damn! You scared me! Kate?! Is that you? God I thought it was June! You look so young dressed like that,” her father said and her smile got larger at the compliment.

She was wearing a white top and a pair of shorts and was sure Edward would have a heart attack if he saw her like that but she did not care. It was time for her to unwind her uptight state and enjoy the hell out of her life before her marriage which was sounding more and more like a sentence to prison.

“I won’t be able to look into the accounts tonight for the report. But you need it by next month and I will have it ready before I get married. I promise,” she added never having left a work undone even if their own business.  

“Oh honey! Don’t you worry about that. Even if you don’t complete the audit, I will have Jonathan look into it during your absence. It’s good to see you so happy,” Alex remarked looking at her with love shining in his eyes and Kate sighed.

“I know! It’s going to be such an awesome trip. I feel like I’m twenty again!”

“Well, you look like you’re twenty again!”

She giggled again. Alex was the best dad one could ever have. “Thank you daddy,” she said sobering. “I don’t know how I’m going to manage after marriage.”

“Oh sweetie don’t say that. You’re going to get married to the one you love and you can expect something better than us,” her father reassured her and she smiled unaware that her eyes held the saddest expression.

As she pondered over her father’s thoughts, she realized that the latter was not completely wrong. If she had been getting married to the one she loved, she was sure to expect something better than that. But how to reveal that she considered the marriage as nothing but a compromise without hurting everyone in the process?

Deep in thoughts, she missed the frown on her father’s face and before they could take the conversation further, Jennifer joined them spoiling the father-daughter moment. Breaking out of her trance, she cast aside thoughts of Edward and absent-mindedly blew her father a kiss before following Jennifer.

Alex smiled fondly at her childish demeanor but was still frowning at his daughter’s retreating back. Kate with her back turned had not picked up anything and was excitedly asking Jennifer about whether she had ever gone sailing before.

“Yes once but not on a yacht,” she confided sounding excited too and they giggled like two schoolgirls while Kate narrated her past experiences to her.

Their conversation stopped when they reached outside and they found Ryce loading some stuff in her father’s truck. Aidan was nowhere in sight and Kate tried not to be too obvious when she could not find him. Was he bunking? She could not help feeling her heart sag with disappointment as her bubble of happiness fuzzed out.

“Where’s Aidan?” she asked discreetly and Ryce stopped in his task to glance at her. “Is he not coming after all?”

“Of course he is! Go find him in his room please. I think he’s gone to fetch his sunglasses.”