Chapter 41. Bring the Rain*

Image on the right is Nathan

Chapter 41. Trouble by Dave Matthews Band

Something about Tourneau's friend, Rafael, troubled me. Unease raised the hair at the back of my neck when Evan let out her exclamation.

"Tourneau, please tell us the story of how you all came together," I asked, hoping to get a little more insight into the two in front of us.

"Well let's all be civilized, come now, let's sit and be cordial," Tourneau replied, picking up on the tension.

I once again grasped Evan's hand and drew her across the room to a love seat, where we sat side by side. Tourneau had ahold of Nathan's nape, directing him to a settee where the two of them sat. Bong-Li and Rafael each took a chair flanking Tourneau.

I reached my arm around Evan's shoulders and was rewarded by her snuggling closer to me and holding my hand that was draped over her shoulder.

"Emil, there is so much to tell you, but I will start with what is most important. When I left, you know I was discontent. You would not...um...could not...fill the need I had at that time, and I wanted you to find happiness, so my leaving was the only way it seemed possible," he told me.

I remembered the awkwardness following Tourneau's revelation that he was in love with me, and had asked if I felt the same. I think I devastated him when he learned I felt he was more of a father figure, or big brother to me than anything romantic. Discreetly, I asked, "So, have you found a way to fill your need?"

The smile that crossed his face indicated that he was content.

"Mon ami, I found what I was looking for in the Caribbean. About five years ago I met Rafael and his friend Bong-Li. They were kind and of a similar mindset about our plight. We toured the world. I finally saw all Seven Wonders of the World. Surely you received my packages," Tourneau asked with a slight frown.

"I did, thank you. You just never gave a contact address so I could get ahold of you. I am surprised with myself when I tell you that I was actually lonely with you gone."

The tenderness that showed on Tourneau's face was a poignant reminder of his feelings, but he knew where I stood on our relationship.

"Anyway, a month ago, I would have told you that I would have been content to be burned to nothingness, but then I met Evan, who has given me back some semblance of life," I said, meaningfully. Then I looked at Nathan and said, "And it is all thanks to you, my man. If I had not come across you, I would never have met Evan."

"Whatever," the boy said arrogantly. I knew we were going to have problems for a while with this one.

"Rafael, Bong-Li, I would love to know more about you. Would either of you like to share a bit with Evan and me?" I asked, hoping I would get a better feeling about Rafael. His aura seemed to be blunted and hidden from me.

Bong-Li spoke first, "Of course, we will tell you of ourselves. I have known Rafael for the last century, but I feel close to Jean. He is a rare find. I am from Singapore. My creator liked to make young women into vampires so that we could then be bait for him and his friends. He would make us prostitute ourselves to the weak human men, then have us kill them to take their possessions. He was a greedy, evil monster. I hated what he made us do. But then Rafael found me in the streets, and he took me in. He eventually killed my maker, stopping the tyranny that ruled so many of our kind. I am eternally grateful to him, and will always be on his side."

I picked up a challenge from her in the stubborn set of her jaw and steely eyes. I think she could give me a run for my money if we ever went toe to toe. Her aura was also veiled from me in some way, almost as if they were purposely hiding.

"That is good of you, Rafael. You seem to be an honorable vampire, then," I said, hoping to draw more information out of him. I didn't like his falsely self-deprecating smile that he gave as he ducked his head in an 'aw-shucks' motion.

"I do what I can, monsieur. I have only been fortunate enough to succeed in those endeavors I feel strongly about. I could not leave Bong-Li and her friends in such a state," Rafael said to me. "We have managed through the years to stay out of trouble and to help others in need when we can. This is how we came upon Jean."

I did not miss the veiled glance Rafael sent to Tourneau, nor the small smile that played across Tourneau's face. It was not jealousy that ate at my chest, more a concern for the welfare of my friend. I did not want him to be hurt and I knew at that moment I would do anything to keep him from harm. I glanced to Bong-Li and noted she did not share the smiles and did not appear to be at all happy with the romantic situation I assumed to be between the two males.

"Tourneau, how did you all meet?" I asked my friend. I wanted to see how the two of them would answer.

"Oh, Emil. I am rather embarrassed. You know my penchant for the older church ladies here? I was lonely for some of the friendly companionship I used to enjoy and while on the islands in the Caribbean, I went to an old church to see if I could meet some more sweet ladies. I was so very wrong! I found some nice older ladies, but they saw me for what I was. Before I knew what was happening, they had sent someone to hunt me! I was so surprised by it, I was nearly caught! I was fleeing for my life, hiding in caves along the beach, when Rafael and Bong-Li found me. They were at one of their night clubs, and had overheard the vampire hunter boasting of nearly finding me, and they followed him. I was not doing a very good job at covering my tracks apparently, or the hunter was better than I give most humans credit for. Rafael put the hunter out of his misery and found me. He and Bong-Li have been good enough to put up with my companionship since then." Tourneau gave Rafael a long leering smile then turned to Bong-Li with a brief tight-lipped one.

"What were you thinking, Jean?" I asked him, truly concerned I had missed something. I was alarmed that my friend had been so careless. What could he have been thinking, risking his exposure to strangers? He had always been so careful. He was a legendary Guardian; not one to carelessly leave hints for a vampire hunter to find.

"Emil, I was getting so lonely. I didn't think. I was tired of traveling alone, and knew it was too soon to return here. You would not have even started going out on your own. So I just became careless," he said. He stood from where he was seated and went to stare out the window. Rafael shot me a reproving glare and went to stand with his hand on Tourneau's shoulder, whispering reassurances I could barely hear.

Bong-Li sat staring into space with an unreadable expression on her face. If I was to guess, she was not as happy about their threesome as Tourneau and Rafael were.

I looked down at Evan nestled next to me, and saw that she was also staring off into space, but with a rather curious look on her face.