CHAPTER SEVEN: BREAKING THE ICE

As Kate stared at the album in front of her, she felt a sense of foreboding. Even if she had tried her best to make everything right, she was not satisfied with the result. Instead of feeling like she would finally be able to move on, she found herself wishing that she could go back and change the past. And she was not happy as she had  assumed she would be, she felt torn into pieces.

Of course the friendship was nothing like it used to be yet but she was sure that everything would fall back in place eventually. It was not easy to overcome six years gap just like that. But now that the worst part was over, she felt optimistic that every problem would be overcome soon.

To begin with, Aidan and Jennifer were starting to get friendly with each other even if they were not quite a couple yet. She wasn’t worried about that she knew that they would get back together since they were made for each other.

The real challenge was that Ryce and Aidan were still not on speaking terms and she so wanted them to break the ice. She knew things were going to take some time to settle back but a week had passed since Ryce and Aidan had arrived and she was getting impatient. The wedding was three weeks away and time was running short.

As she flicked through the album of wedding rings Jade had selected for her, she wondered why so much importance was given to a wedding ceremony. Was it really worth it at the end? She sighed; she could hardly disappoint her mothers and sisters. They had invested so much and now even Jennifer was caught in the wedding preparations.

It was a good sign. But she had to find a way to bridge the gap between Ryce and Aidan and after that everything would be alright. Those two were closest to her heart and she had to make sure they were good friends before she went away. Hell, she was sounding pathetic even to herself. It sounded like she was dying or something instead of getting married!

Just as she was about to close the wedding ring album, she heard a sound behind her and was surprised to find Jennifer. She had made a point to avoid her ever since she had arrived at her house and Kate had assumed that she had not forgiven her yet.

“Jennifer,” she greeted letting her surprise show. There was no need for any pretense with her since they were no longer friends.

“Kate,” she said. “I think we need to talk.”

So it seemed that she was ready to talk about what happened then. And it meant that things must be looking up between them now if Jen was ready to forgive her for having broken them up.

“Sure,” Kate answered trying to sound nonchalant. She was ready for it. “Please sit down,” she indicated the space beside her. She knew there would be no fight between them. It was either going to end in a cold note or an improved relationship.

“Kate…” Jennifer began and her blue eyes were filled with regret when she looked at her. “When I got your wedding invitation, I was really shocked. And when you told me what happened on the graduation night, it felt weird. I mean I would never have guessed that you were not in your senses that day.”

At that moment, Kate wished she could be sincere with her friend and told her how much she had regretted breaking them up on that day. But it was going to be hard to voice her feelings without letting on how much she had loved Aidan. If everything was working out fine, she should continue to hide the real reason which had prompted her to act in such a way.

“Yah I know,” she said thinking twice before speaking. “I’m really sorry but I would never have betrayed you if I knew what I had been doing,” Kate told her knowing that she was not lying completely. Even if she had known that she was kissing Aidan, she had been drunk at that time and it had given her the courage which she would never have dared in her right mind.