Chapter 1

Prologue

(Pic of Isaac----->)

One year ago….

“Royce, I am telling you…this case is beyond my capabilities. You need to cut that lecture short and come back home and handle this one yourself.” Taylor informed me. I could hear the strain in her voice.

 Since midnight last night I have been on the phone with her back and forth over a murder suspect’s case that I was called in to consult on, but since I was currently guest speaker at a conference in New York, there was no way I could have taken the call personally so I had my right hand and best friend another talented Psychiatrist in my practice, Dr. Taylor Chandler take the call for me. Now she was telling me that this persons’ needs were was beyond her training and I was stumped.

“What do you mean, Taylor? From what you said he is clearly guilty. He was found huddled in the corner of the residence in an almost catatonic state, covered in the victim’s blood, with the murder weapon still in hand. His blood was all over the victim’s body and he fought tooth and nail to the point he had to be sedated just to be taken into custody treated. What does he have to say for himself? It’s been two days since the incident and he should be lucid by now.” I asked as I waved off the event coordinator who was desperately trying to get my attention. I watched as the petite blond stomped off with a huff. I just shrugged it off; this conversation was my main focus at the moment.

 “That’s just it, Royce, he is not saying anything. He has not uttered one word to anyone, not the doctor, the officers, or the nurses. There is more to this story than him just deciding to get up and murder his Stepfather just for the hell of it. From his physical examination there is year’s worth of evidence of sexual abuse and damage to his body, and evidence of multiple types of physical abuse as well. A lot of the injuries are scared over but there’s almost an equal amount of fresh ones. I mean unimaginable things must have been done to this poor man and it has been going on for a long time, but he refuses to utter a single word in his own defense.” She explained as I rubbed at the knot of tension that was now forming at base of my skull.

 “Taylor, what does your gut tell you?” I asked in all honesty, if she was so amandant that I cut my Lecture short and return to personally handle this patient myself, I wanted her opinion on the suspect.

 “Honestly, I think Mr. Carmichael suffered a Dissociative Episode. After years of abuse, the pain he suffered, and the emotional distress of his circumstances all led him to snap and lash out at his tormentor, the murder victim. I feel that at that time he had no earthly idea of what he was doing. He was an abused and cornered animal in unimaginable pain and turmoil and he protected himself from further injury.” She whispered over the line and I felt a chill skitter across the surface of my skin. My interest was definitely peaked.

 “Okay, let me finish out my responsibilities here today and make my apologies and I should be back home hopefully by tomorrow afternoon. I will keep you updated on my travel plans. Just keep the patient calm and try to get him to open up.” I informed her and listened to her agree with me before disconnecting the call.

 Making sure my phone was on vibrate I put it back in my pocket. I set off to go and try to appease the event coordinator and let her know that an emergency has come along and make my apologies for bowing out of the conference for the remainder of days I was scheduled to speak.

**okay darlings, cheer me on in hopes that I can do this in 30 days, remember to drop me a line to let me know what you think about this story, xoxo***