Chapter 16. Heaven Forbid*

Chapter 16. Heaven Forbid by the Fray

When I heard the things Evan had observed on her visit with Nathan, my blood ran colder. He must have been bitten, that was the only explanation for the vicious wounds to be healing so quickly and for his loss of appetite. I desperately needed to get to the hospital and see what was going on with the boy. Initially, I thought I could go back with Evan in the guise of a friendly visit, but Evan was not going to go back there any time soon if she had her way. Torn between wanting to go take care of Nathan Clark and comforting Evan, I wrestled with the humanity Evan had brought back into my existence. For the first time that I could remember, I despised my avocation enough to go against the rules if I had to.

Evan jumped when her cell phone began to ring. I hated how she was so on edge, and wanted to kill the bastard who had done this to her. I was becoming rather decided on that thought. As I eavesdropped on Evan's phone conversation, inwardly I cursed the fates, knowing without a doubt that Nathan was undergoing the change. Now there was no way for Evan to not go, as her ingrained desire to make her patients a first priority overcame the fear of her attacker.

Once Evan's mind was made up, we were on our way. I couldn't resist any chance I had to touch her, so I scooped her up in order to hurry, and partly out of a selfish need for the heat she sent through me. We were off, and the likelihood that I would have to destroy yet another abomination weighed heavily on my cursed soul.

"You don't have to do that!" she said crossly, not before I had her safely seated in the passenger seat. "I can walk you know."

"I just felt like I could maybe keep you a little warmer," I said, and she looked startled when I answered her from the drivers' side. I had already turned the key in the ignition.

"Well, ask me next time. I am not a child," she said, and I could tell she was trying to gather her wits about her after the whirl through the air. "This isn't the car you were in yesterday. How many cars do you have?"

"I have several. This is my new Maserati. You've given me a reason to stretch her legs," I said eagerly. I loved this car, it allowed me to fly.

"This is a very expensive car, if I remember my last visit to the auto show correctly. Who are you?" Evan asked me, looking at me quizzically, as if she were seeing me for the first time again.

"I am a fortunate man. I work hard at what I do and was given a great deal by an old friend," I said quietly.

"I guess so," she answered.