1. [Isabella]

What did people think when they saw me? What did I think when I saw myself?

These were the questions that I often asked myself. Normally, there was no common ground between my tormentors and myself, but there was one thing that we could both agree on: I was a nobody. Just the fat, ugly middle child.

"Hey Isabella, guess what?" a perky voice exclaimed. By the sound of it, I knew she had something exciting to tell me. And by exciting, I meant dreadful.

Against my better judgement, I looked up. Amanda, my one and only best friend stood in front of me with a wide grin on her face.

"What?" I asked. I tried to sound half as eager as she did. And trust me that task was easier said than done. She was oozing enthusiasm.

"Well, you know Jason...the guy you like?" she asked, as her brown eyes grew wide.

"Um, yeah...what about him?" I asked, blushing a light pink as I thought about my crush. Okay, so maybe this news wasn't as dreadful as I thought it would be.

"Well, we're invited to his after-party!"

"A-After party?" My mouth dropped open. "How is that even possible?"

"Who cares? Now you can go and confess your undying love for him," she stated, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"I don't know what to tell you, but . . . you know that I have no chance with him, right?" I said, knowing that it's true. I glanced down at my overweight body. "I mean look at me." 

"What do you mean?" she asked.

I frowned. "Are you really going to make me say it?"

I wasn't looking at her, but I could practically feel her rolling her eyes. "You're very pretty," she said, even though I knew the truth. I was anything but pretty.

"You don't have to lie, you know. I know I'm not. I mean, I was voted 'ugliest girl in school', remember?" I said, my mind resignedly remembering that day.

"You mean by those immature pricks whose lives solely depends on their insecurities to suffice what they think is a satiable person? I hardly think they know what 'cool' is to make a stupid list," she said with a snort.

"Well, they're right, and I don't want to go to that party," I said, and went back to reading my book. I was about to get to the good part when she slapped her hands on it, and closed it shut.

"But you have to go! It will be fun," she whined, giving me her infamous puppy dog eyes. "I hardly doubt that what you're reading will be anywhere near as fun as seeing your crush."

She had a good point. "Fine, but I'm only going because of you." She opened her mouth to say something before I cut her off, "Not—because of Jason," I said, and gave in to her again as I partially lied.

"Thank you! You won't regret it," she yelled, and hugged me tightly.

"I better not," I grumbled back.

"You won't. I'll see you after school, my place as always," she said, then ran off to gosh knows where.

Shaking my head at her, I attempted once more to ignore how I looked compared to her thin, pretty frame. Once again, I failed...

According to the student body (well mostly the insubordinate jerks) of Woodway, I'm the girl who should buy a paper bag big enough to cover her face and body. I could see why though, I do weigh more than anyone in this pretentious prep school of mine. That's right, I'm fat and I get teased a lot. And if that wasn't bad enough, I'm also the ugly ducking in my family.