Chapter Eight

Sorry for the long wait but Ive been very busy lately with Christmas exams, Christams shopping and the school musical...

Un-edited

***

Did you bring a heavy jacket?” Wyatt asked again as we got in his car after school.

“No, it’s too warm this time of year” I answered him honestly, avoiding his disappointed stare.

“How many times do I have to tell you, you'll need it where we are going and Im not giving you my jacket for me to catch a cold.” I nodded and continued to look out the window at passing cars. Doing what I always did as I child when my parents gave out to me, Ignore them. I don’t even know where we’re going, Wyatt just grabbed my hand after school and told me to hurry. Again.

A small smile made its way onto my face as I thought about the last week or so, everyone and everything that has happened. Never in my life have I felt more comfortable around people my own age and not have to worry about them judging me on an ordinary bases. And its not even a few friends, there is loads of them that will walk up to me and have a friendly conversation between classes or when Im on my own, which is never often anymore. Nevertheless, I was happy.

There’s only one problem, maybe two.

Jesse and his backstabbing, tooth faced, sluty minions. Whenever I passed them in the hall or sat in the same class as them, they throw stuff at me, make mean remarks and give me dirty looks. Sometimes it’s easy to ignore them, like when Im with Ruth and she makes everything seem funny, but when Im on my own, the comments get louder and harsher.

The second problem is the same one from day one, Wyatt. The easy temperamental but cuddly bad boy has me on high alert everywhere. He seems to come out of everywhere and you never know what moods he is in. One minute he’s an understanding, good listening funny big fluffy bear and the next he’s possessive, angry jealous grizzly bear with big scary teeth. It’s actually quite annoying.

In addition, so are my feelings. Yes, its true, big bad soft boys turn me on. He has a way to know just which buttons to hit to make me melt and which one to make me flush. Moreover, no matter what he does, I can’t seem to find it bad in my eyes. This can be quite frustrating.

Then he can be sweet and kind, and know just when I need a hug. Nevertheless, all I can say is, He’s one hell of a bi-polar.

“Are we there yet?”

“No”

“When will we get there?”

“Soon.”

“How soon?”

“Ten minutes.”

I paused, that’s a long time. “Can I have a milkshake?”

He clenched his jaw and tightened his fist around the steering wheel, His hard gaze landing on me “And where am I supposed to find a milkshake?”

“Mc Donald’s.”

“There’s no bloody Mc Donald’s around here Oakley. Now please shut up.”

“Geez, I was only asking a question, No need to shoat” I grumbled looking back out the window. I pretended to zip my mouth shut and sallow the key which only caused me to break into a fit off giggles. God, Im so funny. Once I quieted down, I looked over to Wyatt who had his gaze latched onto the windscreen, but he looked so grumpy.

“My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and there like, its better then your, damn right it better-”
“Oakley seriously, shut up. You’re giving me a headache.”

“You’re the one who keeps kidnapping me from school. You know, I don’t think my mom would be too happy to know that her only son has been taking from the confidents off their own school by a fellow student.” I mocked, shaking my head. Wyatt mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like ‘No more sugar for you’.

Playfully scoffing, I crossed my arms and looked out the window and waved at all the people who passed by. I ignored Wyatt’s chuckling and continued to entertain myself since he didn’t want to. We passed by many buildings, houses and shops and just like last time Wyatt kidnapped me, he wouldn’t tell me were we where going even though I had an idea it was somewhere from the list.

I mentally went through it myself and thought of the things that where somewhat ‘do-able’ today, not including Wyatt. A wicked grin made its way onto my face as I thought of just that, doing Wyatt.

“Am I do-able?” I asked, watching his reflection in the window. I enjoyed watching him sputter at the question before he turned and looked at me. I’ve noticed the last week that when others weren’t around us, he somehow lost his confidence that seemed to radiate from him elsewhere. At first I thought I was imagining it but then when I asked him questions such as these, instead of answering something like ‘Well I’d totally do you’, he’d freeze and try to avoid answering the question. It made him more… human.

“Why do you want to know?” he asked after scrunching his eyebrows for several seconds.

“Is that you way of telling me Im not?”

“No, No you are do-able. Its just I’d use another word.” he turned his gaze back to the window but now I was curious, what did he actually see in me?

“Like what?” I asked, watching as he cringed and quickly looked back at me.

“Pretty.”

I sat there in my chair thinking, Im not do-able, Im pretty. What seventeen-year-old boy was seen as pretty, or even wanted to be known as pretty. I mean, I may not have the glorified abs or the height and deep voice, but I wasn’t pretty. I was nexy. Notoriously sexy. Yeah Im nexy and I know it, so everyone else can stuff it.

I almost laughed aloud in hilarity.

Sexy my ass. Not once in my life has anyone ever told me that I was anything other then adorable or other crap like that. It was sad that I was seventeen and never had a girlfriend, someone to bring home to meet my mom and brag to my friends about. Hell, I only recently got friends for the first time since I was a child.

“Hey I didn’t mean it like that. Your adorable yes, but once someone gets to know you, your personality outshines your looks. Looking at you now, I do not see the shy boy that I met last week; I see the out-going smiling tease that you are. So it doesn’t matter what you look like, it matters who you are.” Wyatt said breaking through my own depressing thoughts “Now come on, where here.”

My eyes unclouded and my head shot up to the giant gates of ‘The zoological Gardens’. Giving a quick smile at Wyatt, I climbed out of the car though half-in confusion. I never put Visit the Zoo on my list.

“Why are we here?” I asked him turning around, I watched as he locked his car after grabbing his coat out of the back seat. He shrugged and grabbed my hand, pulling me past the mothers with there kids, the ‘bad-ass’ teenagers that must have skipped school to visit the zoo and the only father with his daughter.

“You’ll see. Now stay here why’ll I go have a word with someone,” he told me as we stopped out side the first enclosure. It was the giant birds. I was so fascinated; I didn’t even notice as Wyatt shook his head at my ignorance and walked away. I watched as the big pink flamingos padded around in the water, going on as if there wasn’t dozens of people watching them. I felt a pang at my heart when I thought about how they live, not out in the wild doing as they pleased but it faded as two of the biggest started fighting for a fish that must have been thrown in by someone.

I pointed them out and turned to look at Wyatt when he didn’t respond but panicked when I saw no one was behind me. Confused, I looked at all the surrounding faces for the familiar one but didn’t see it. I thought back to what my mother had told me as a child about when or if I got lost. Though I could remember her telling me two things, Stay where I left you and to make my way to the closest security guard.

Because id look like a complete idiot going up and telling them I was lost, I considered staying where I was, well until a strange man tapped my shoulder and I took off like lightning. I skipped between the crowds towards the uniformed guard, ignoring the looks people cast me I jumped in front of the him.

“Im lost.” I told him, looking around once again for Wyatt though from the corner of my eye I watched as he pulled something from his pocket.

“Here.” he told me, handing me a… map of the park. I shook my head and handed it back.

“No I mean I can’t find my friend.” I told him, standing on my tippy-toes to look over the crowd.

“And how old is your friend?” he asked

“Eighteen.”

“And you?”

“Seventeen”

“Look, my job is to make sure no kids go missing and people your age don’t mess too much. I don’t have time to joke around, now get lost or leave.”

“But Im lost, my friend was with me one minute and then when I was looking at the birdies, he was gone. Please just let me stay with you until he finds me.”

From the first time since I came over, he actually looked at me from head to toe, amusingly. “You’re actually serious, aren’t you?”

I nodded and stepped a little closer to him when I saw the man from earlier in the crowd, looking around. Probably looking for another boy to pray on, I thought.

“Okay, Im going to do my job and pretend that you’re serious about this.” I nodded looking back at the guard “Firstly, what’s your name?”

“Oakley.”

“Okay Oakley, do you want to come with me and we will make an announcement to your friend.” I nodded and followed him through the crowd to the ‘no visitors’ building but keeping my eyes open at all time. The security whose name I learned was Bill, kept making fun of me in the least offending way he could.

Also describing to his co-workers how I - being seventeen, lost my friend and have to get Bill to make an announcement to find the said eighteen-year-old friend.

Bill walked over to the speaker and pressed down the button but before he could make it further then ‘Could a Wyatt Ferna-’ the door of the main room was pushed open by two very irritated looking men, one being Wyatt and the other the man who scared me earlier. Before I could think of my actions, I was across the room and diving into Wyatt’s arms.

It took him only a second to realize it was me before hugging me back and giving me the whole ‘I told you to say put’ lecture.

“Why’d you leave me?” I asked, pulling back.

“I told you I’d be back in a few minutes after I spoke to someone about today’s plans, but when I went looking for you, you were gone.”

I looked at his face and could see that he was actually worried. Him worried about me. “You didn’t tell me anything, you just left.”

“I did but you where to busy looking at the freaking birds to listen.”

“Nope, you didn’t tell me anything. I would’ve heard you.” I shot back, crossing my arms.

“Yes I did and you know it, your only acting like a child now.”

“No, you are ‘cause you know tha-”

I was cut off by a cough from behind me. I ducked close to Wyatt as the freaky person from outside stood there with his arms crossed. “Wyatt, if you want to do it today, you’ll have to hurry.”

Wyatt nodded but shot me a confused look, identical to the one I sent him. He knows freaky stalker peodo person? Wyatt started to follow him, grabbing my hand as we left as I waved goodbye to Bill.

“Why are we following him?” I whispered to him as we pushed our way through the crowd.

“I met him in jail and he was able to get us in here today.”

“You where in jail?” I froze, pulling out of his grasp. I might have said it a bit too loud as I noticed people sending worried glances our way and leaving a wide-berth between us.

“Come on Oakley, we have to hurry.” he told me, grabbing hold off my hand again. I dug my heels into the ground to stop us moving and considered sitting down.

“Jail?” I asked again, more in disbelief now then anything.

“It wasn’t really jail, more of a holding cell overnight until I called mom to pick me up.”

“For what?”

“Vandalising public property and drunken public disorder. Well that time anyway” he trailed off, giving me another pull. Dazed but less worried, I allowed myself to be dragged. For some reason, even though Wyatt was the ‘bad boy’ I never expected him to have been arrested. Yes, I knew he vandalised on school grounds and beat up other students but never arrested.

“It was never bad,” he said suddenly. I looked up to give him a puzzled look. “Whenever I got arrested, the things I did where never that bad,”

I nodded and observed as the crowd grew thinner and thinner until we came to the ‘staff’ end off the park. We followed the person around what looked like empty enclosures until we got to a fenced in garden, complete with trees and a small pond.

At first, I was more baffled until I saw the two workers standing in the middle of the grass, lead in hand. At the end off each lead was an energetic, fuzzy lion cub.

I looked up at Wyatt and laughed. Never did I ever expect to see Wyatt nervous, but it was amazing to watch. At last, something that did not scare me but did him. He looked down at my laugh but I shook me head and took a step forward, ready to follow the person through the gate but Wyatt pulled me back.

“Oaks just stay behind me for now.” he told me, taking a step forward.

“Wyatt, there cubs. There not going to bite me head off.”

“But they might be viscous, you never know.”

I rolled my eyes and let him play the big strong man and go first. Once we where in the garden with the gate shut, the cubs where let off their leads to run around. I giggled at they looked at each other before bounding towards us, bumping into each other as they came.

Wyatt didn’t find it amusing at all, and took an alarming step towards me.

The larger cub jumped up onto Wyatt, silly lion grin on its face and his slimy tongue hanging out while the second took his moment of distraction to get to me. I slide onto my knees and welcomed him with a big hug, which he took with a waggling tail. I could hear Wyatt telling the ‘Dog’ to get down while the member of staff laughed.

“I never thought you where an animal hater Wy.” the guy from earlier commented

“Anything that will eat me, Im not too fond of Tony.” Wyatt told him, before giving off a complaint about the cub.

I giggled a scratched my ones belly, avoiding his slobby kisses. Soon I watched as the second furry body jumped down onto the ground beside me, begging for a rub. I turned my attention to him while the other one rolled around in the grass.

“Hiss names Gizmo and the smaller one is Clumsy. They where hand raised when their mother rejected them and are going back to join her in another two months.” Tony told me, picking a wiggling Clumsy up.

“Why did their mom reject them?” I asked not understanding how anyone could reject little cute things like them.

“Usually it could be for anything but we think she did it as she wanted to breed with the Rex of the pride but couldn’t because she had these two hanging out of her at all times. It doesn’t happen often, even with the amount of lions we home here.”

Ignoring the spasm in my heart, I continued to play with Gizmo and Clumsy. Ignoring the chatter of everyone around me and gave them as much love as I could muster. I don’t know how long we were there but it did get quite chilly and considerably dark out.

“Come on Oaks.” Wyatt called as the keepers put the leads back around Gizmo and Clumsy. I gave them one last big hug and followed Tony and Wyatt back out the gate, casting on look back on them.

Instead of turning right like I though we would, Tony brought us into a building and made us put gloves on. Confused, I did as I was told.

We walked into a large sterile room that reminded me of an operation theatre, smelling like alcohol and disinfecting while everything made out of metals. Pulled across the middle of the room was a blue curtain with low whispers on the other side.

Tony whispered for us to be quiet as he slightly pulled back the curtain. My thought where confirmed as we walked closer to the large unconscious tiger that was lain out on a large pink towel, which undoubtedly covered another metal table. Hesitatingly, I followed Tony movements as he petted the fully-grown Tiger while Wyatt hovered close to my back.

“Why is he unconscious?” I asked no one in particular though received my answer from a woman across from me.

“Every six months we do a check up on all the animals, Today was Sally’s turn and we needed her knocked out to do it.” I nodded and listened as Sally groaned when Tony played with her ears.

Turning to look at Wyatt, I grabbed his hand and put it on her stomach.

“Oakley.” he hissed trying to pull he hand away, but I didn’t let him and continued to pet Sally.

After several moments, he let his hand relax and follow my movements, stepping forward so his chest was at my back and his other hand on my hips. I hid a smile and moved my own and up to her neck and chin, enjoying the sound she was making and the vibrations that went through Wyatt when he chuckled at my expense.

“Sorry Wy, but you need to leave before she wakes up.” Tony said minutes later. Reluctantly I pulled my hand back and followed there examples by throwing the gloves in the bin before leaving.

Outside was colder then before and I mentally slapped myself for not taking Wyatt’s advice and bringing a jacket. Shivering I pulled my arms around myself and trotted to the car, watching my feet in the darkness. Suddenly, something heavy and warm landed around my shoulder and I looked up to see Wyatt’s jacket.

“Thank you.” I told him, with a hug “Today was awesome.”

“Your welcome.”

***

Whatcha think???????

Again Im really sorry for the wait :(

Comment Vote and Fan please

                                                                                                                                                                       Rain xx