Chapter Nine

Quick Note: Soooo instead of trick or treating since my son decided to throw a fit just trying to get his costume on for an hour *sad face*. I decided to type up this chapter and give you all a late night Halloween update! =P

*

*

The cool water splashing on my face hardly eased my nerves. I watched my reflection in the mirror, the water droplets dripping from my chin.

Get it together Sonja, I thought to myself. I patted my face dry and redid part of my makeup. I checked my appearance smoothing out the dress I wore. Why did I choose this particular one this morning?

A black cap sleeve dress, the sleeves made of lace and part of the back. A little lower in the neckline than I am used to and shorter above the knee. Plus my high heeled knee high black boots made me feel a little self-conscious.

Even when I arrived at the office this morning, Stacy raised an eyebrow at me. I hadn’t thought about my attire choice until now, that Evan would be here soon for our creative meeting. Did I dress this way for him? The idea seemed absurd.

I finished fixing my makeup and left the ladies room. As I made my way back to my office lost in my thoughts I ran into Eddie. I smacked right into his fit chest. It felt like I had hit a brick wall. I had no idea he was so toned up.

“Ow sorry Eddie,” I rubbed my shoulder where it had bumped solid against him. When he didn’t say anything right away I looked up into his blue eyes to see him just staring at me. They weren’t as icy blue as mine, but a deeper brooding blue.

“What?”

“You just look great today,” he smiles warmly in such a way I couldn’t help my own face curling into a pleased smile.

“Thank you,” I hoped he wouldn’t see the small blush in my face.

“I’ll stop by your office after you’ve gotten your meeting started.”

My smile vanished. “Sure.”

He continued his walk past me. Clutching on my own stomach I continued my walk back to my office. Butterflies danced inside. My nerves were rattled because of this appointment. The first time we would be around each other outside of therapy and alone…in my office…in my domain…did I mention alone?

I worried as a professional; he would not like my work or design style. That was typical of me for any first time creative meeting. Like Eddie, I knew I was good at what I do, but you never know if that will translate to a client. It didn’t matter that Stacy was good at matching them to designers, but it wasn’t always perfection. We are not the borg.

Nonprofessionally…my body hummed with anticipation of seeing him again. Will his eyes continue to mesmerize me? Will his firm handshake send those shivers up my arm again? I had gotten used to the way I react to him lately, but I couldn’t let it get in the way of my professionalism.

In my office, I set up my portfolio to show him my previous work and my notes on ideas for their website. I had already worked on some of it. I hoped he had some idea of what he and Kyle wanted.

Taking a couple of deep breaths I sat at my desk and waited the last few minutes for his arrival. I wondered how he would respond to me being the one behind the desk…the one who ruled her professional world…the difference between me in therapy and me at work. I hoped I make a good impression. It took me by surprise how much I wanted him to be pleased and happy with their choice in my company and me.

I jumped at the shrill knock on my office door.

“He’s here,” Stacy poked her head inside with a cheesy grin on her face.