Catching Jordan - Section 6

FROM: Tucker, Mark (Athletics, University of Alabama)

TO: Woods, Jordan

DATE: Monday, August 30, 12:46 p.m.

SUBJECT: Opportunity

Dear Jordan:

We are so pleased you are considering joining our athletic community at the University of Alabama. Coffee Calendars, a company affiliated with our booster program, produces an athletic calendar that our boosters sell every year. While a certain portion of the proceeds go to support our sports programs, most of the proceeds go to charity.

Coffee Calendars is in the process of taking photographs for next year’s calendar, and our boosters would like you to consider posing for the September picture. Members of the volleyball, softball, and swim teams have agreed to be featured.

If you plan to join our program, which we most sincerely hope you do, we’d like to schedule a photo shoot before your home game this Friday evening. Production schedules require us to begin this process as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you’re available for a photo session.

Yours truly,

Mark Tucker

Director of Athletics

#

jerry rice

the count? 15 days until alabama

Monday at school. Last class of the day, home ec.

Along with music appreciation and auto mechanics, this is another one of the stupid, easy classes Henry and I are taking together.

“Okay, everyone,” Ms. Bonner says, “Pair off into groups of two—husbands and wives.”

Henry’s the only guy in the class, so all the girls automatically turn to him. He puffs out his chest and grins broadly, looking around the room at all the girls he has to choose from. A sophomore sitting in front of us gives him a little wave and a smile.

Henry raises his hand. “Ms. Bonner?”

“Yes, Sam?” the teacher says with a sigh. She taps a forefinger on a textbook.

After slipping a pencil behind his ear, Henry folds his hands in front of him and gets this extremely serious look on his face like he’s about to negotiate a peace treaty. “Before we can choose partners, I think we need a few more details on what we’re going to be doing in these husband-wife pairs. Is, um…” Henry lowers his voice to a mere whisper, “…sex involved?”

All the other girls start giggling as Ms. Bonner shakes her head. “No, Sam. Sex is not involved.”

“Then I don’t understand how we can be husband-wife pairs,” he exclaims. “That’s what husbands and wives do.”

The girls giggle even more.

“We’re just going to be pretending,” Ms. Bonner says. “Now, everyone, find partners.”

The smiling, waving sophomore comes slinking up and touches Henry’s arm. “Want to be partners, Sam?”

“Nope, sorry,” he says. “I’m already married to Woods.”

The sophomore glares at me. What the hell is her problem? Like Henry and I would commit to doing a school project with someone else in this class. Honestly.

“Okay,” Ms. Bonner says, going to a closet at the back of the room, “Now that we all have partners, all husbands should come pick up their projects.”