Puppy Luv: Chapter Two

Evelyn POV

There I stood, my back against the wall, inhaling and exhaling slowly. The moment of truth. I held my ticket closely against my chest and prepared myself.

My mother was sitting at the dinner table reading one of her business magazines. I had been standing in the hallway for about 10 minutes. Yeah, just standing there, trying to get up the guts to tell my mom I was staying with dad for the summer. It was May, and she hadn’t planned anything yet, so she probably wouldn’t. Her boyfriend Derek wanted them to go to Italy for the whole summer, and she hadn’t given him an answer yet. Well, she was about to.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the dining room. My mom looked up and smiled at me. My mom wasn’t average. Her blonde full hair went perfect with her golden eyes. She had curves everywhere. Her skin was even lighter than my own. She looked pretty good for age. I’m not allowed to say her age, but she had me when she was 20, and I’m 16 so do the math.

“Hello honey.” She said.

“Hi mom.” I started out in my ‘I want something’ voice.

“What is it?”

I pulled out the ticket from behind my back and gently placed it on the table. My mom closed her magazine and picked it up, looking at it more closely.

“Forks?” she asked.

I took a deep breath (again) and launched into the speech I prepared. “Every summer since I was nine we’ve either spent together or close to each other and I know you want to go with Derek to Italy, so you should go don’t and worry about me cuz I want to go stay with dad for the whole summer because my time there is really overdue and I miss everything about La push and the airfare is already paid for and dad will pick me up in Forks and take me to La push and please let me go.” Once I was done gasped for air, realizing I hadn’t paused a single time.

My mom just stared at me with a blank expression for what felt like forever. Then finally she spoke, “Your father already paid for the ticket?”

I nodded my head quickly with hopeful eyes. My mom took one look at me and hung her head in defeat.

“Alright.” She said.

“Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much mom!” I screamed, giving her a big hug.

“Alright, alright!” she laughed, pushing me away. “But we’ll have to get a sitter for Angel. Unless you want to send her to a kennel.”

Angel, who was sleeping peacefully on the floor, shot up at the word kennel.

“Um, I was actually hoping I could take her with me.” My mom gave me a skeptical stare, and then I hurriedly added, “I’ll pay for the fee for live cargo out of my own pocket.”

My mom laughed and said, “It’s alright I’ll pay as long as you’re happy.”

“Thank you mom. I love you.”

I hugged her one more time and ran upstairs.

The time passed by all too slowly. All I could think about was seeing my dad again. Not to mention everything else. I was even looking forward to seeing my old “playmates”, as my dad called them. They were all guys, except for one girl, but she was a bit older than me. About three or four years older I think. The only ones I really ever played with were Jacob Black and Seth Clearwater. Jacob was a year older than me, and Seth was my age. I kind of remember another girl a few years older than me named Bella Swan, but I never really played with her either. I wondered how much they had changed over the years.

Finally the day came. My mom drove me to air port and walked with me through security and junk. Man I hate air ports!

After all that chaos we got to the terminal.

“Here we are.” Mom said, putting down one of my suitcases, “Flight 24A to Forks, Washington.”

Her eyes were misty and her voice was strained. “Mom are you gonna cry?” I asked, feeling tears swell up in my own eyes.

“It’s just that I’ll miss you. I’ll call you every now and again to check up on you.”

“Okay, and thanks again.”

“Like I said, as long as you’re happy…”

I smiled and hugged her one last time as she kissed the top of my head. I let go when she did. She smiled one last time and turned to leave.

“Bye mom!” I called after her. She turned around and waved, and then turned back around and left.

I don’t know how long I stood there, looking at the spot where I last saw her, but the next thing I heard was a voice on the intercom that said, “Flight 24A to Forks, Washington, now boarding.”

I sucked in a breath, wiped away the little tears that managed to escape, and turned to the boarding area. But as I handed the woman my ticket and headed for the plane, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something would happen this summer that would change my life. But then I laughed at myself and shook my head. I wish. I thought.

You that old saying ‘Be careful what you wish for’? Well I don’t listen to old sayings that much, but I really should, huh?