Miss Entrepreneur

Oh my gosh! You did it! You really did it, your girlfriends yell at the opening event for your brand new Company.

Have you ever wondered what you wanted to be when you finished school? Did you know that you can do anything that you dream?

All of your favourite brands that you use everyday, were started with a dream, by a person just like you. 

This person is called an entrepreneur, someone who creates a business out of passion that she has and makes it a reality. This business can be anything you wish, that can be turned into a part time, summer or full time job.

There are a few characteristics that entrepreneurs have in common; they have faith, they have a positive outlook, they are independent, they are confident,  high achievers, goal oriented and, above all, they are dreamers.  There have been many young entrepreneurs who have started up their own businesses while being in school and have done very well for themselves. Through doing this they have created lifelong friendships with teens who share their values and ambitions, who have become their business partners.

Below are a few basic steps to follow to create your own company of your dreams!

First, you have to decide what it is you are passionate about- do you want to create a jewelry business, a clothing line or even a magazine? It is up to you, it can be anything. 

Secondly, you have to decide who you are going to sell your product to, this is called your “target market.” Is it teen girls? Or is it kids?

Thirdly, you are going to choose a name for your business. This is called your “brand name.” Make it something fun that people will not forget, but not something so complicated that they cannot pronounce it. Some great brand names today are, Forever21, Hollister and Sephora. Definitely do an online search to make sure your name is not already taken and is unique. 

Now that you have your name and idea for what you are going to be selling and to whom you are going to be selling, start to make your products. Make a list of all the material that you are going to need and the cost of it, to find out how much money you will need to start. The exciting part is that there are so many grants available from your local government to fund your whole business most teens don’t even know about.  To find out what is available, look on your local government website for details.

Now, the fun part, creating your product. If you are starting a jewelry business, you are going to be making necklaces, earrings, anything you want.  Get together with your closest gal pals and make it a girls’ day, they will help you to work faster and make it much more fun!

Fourthly, when you have as many products as you want to sell, choose a price for which you will want to sell them. This can be anything that you want, but make sure it is enough so that you will cover your costs and time spent making the product, as this will make your business profitable.

Finally, choose the different places where you will sell your products.  Will it be at school?  A local craft or trade show?  Or in your favourite stores? It is up to you.

Many entrepreneurs started out this way and have become the big brands that you know and love today.

Just remember, this can be done by anyone who has a passion and love for something.  Every entrepreneur started out just like you, there is no super power that you need to possess! You can achieve anything that you put your mind to and create something fantastic!

For more info on me check out entrepreneurgirl.ca