Chapter 5: Part 1

Chapter Five

A Spellbinding Experience

            Over the next couple days Alice learned how to put spells on everything in the shop.  By the end of the first week she felt like she had been dealing with the threads of magic her entire life.

            “You’ve really got the hang of it,” Azura commented as she watched Alice make yet another love potion.

            “Thanks.” Alice grinned happily. “It’s fun.” It wasn’t hard either, which was a relief. At first she had been intimidated by some of the patterns, thinking that anything involving more than one thread would be too complicated. But Azura had been an excellent teacher, easing her fears and slowly showing her how to do more and more.

            Azura was tapping her chin again. “Hm…I think we could move on to some harder enchantments now. What do you say?”

            Alice put down the potion, which was turning a bright shade of pink. “Really?”

            “I don’t see why not. You seem to be doing well, and there are some basic things I’d like to teach you.”

            “Like what?” Alice asked eagerly, hungry for more opportunity to prove she had a natural talent. It was almost intoxicating, being good at something.

            “Let’s start off with a basic blocking spell, something that will allow you to avoid anyone influencing or attacking you.”

            “Is someone likely to attack me?” Alice asked nervously, remembering their conversation with Shira.

            “Not likely while I’m here,” Azura said, “but you never know. There are rouge magical creatures once in a while, and like Shira said last week, once people figure out that you own this shop, Wizards and Witches will be coming in to check you out.” Alice wasn’t sure, but she thought a hint of anxiety had flickered past Azura’s face as she said this.

            “And they’ll attack me?” she asked, worriedly.

            “Not at all - but it’s a good spell to know.”

            “Okay, what do I do?”

            “This is less like a spell and more like a force of will. It’s the same force of will you use to make the threads solid so you can touch them, but this time it needs to be much stronger.”

            “Okay...” It had been difficult the first time she tried to touch the threads. This would be even harder?

            “If someone is to attack you, they will basically take the spell they want and send it at you.  In order for you to actually understand, I’m going to come at you with some magic,” Azura said. “Don’t worry. I won’t use a strong spell.”

            “I’m not worried,” Alice said. That was a lie; she was worried, but more about failing the lesson then being hit with a spell. She knew Azura wouldn’t do anything to hurt her.

            “Alright, when I send the magic at you, you basically have to will it away from you. There are a couple of things you can do. You can push the threads away from you, or some people find it easier to form a sort of shield to simply block them.”

            “How do I make my will stronger?” Alice hesitated, not wanting to sound stupid.

            “Have you ever, as a child perhaps, felt that if you thought about something hard enough it would be true, or thought if you wished fiercely enough it would happen? Perhaps you tried to stare at an object with all your might until it moved?”