Chapter 45 - Nathaniel

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 45 – Nathaniel

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Leon and Nathan were twins. How could I have not known? For a few seconds, I stared at his offered hand dumbfounded.

“It’s okay,” He said encouragingly. “I can’t be sure what Leon told you about me. He might be right in some ways. But I can assure you I don’t bite.” The kind smile never left his perfect lips but I was still too reluctant to shake his hand.

“P-please,” I mumbled meekly.

Nathan shook his head seemingly disappointed as he pocketed his hands. “That’s too bad. It’s our first meeting and I’ve already got in your bad books.”

I hesitated then took a step back. “Y-you... sent Larkin Frost—“

“Ah... Larkin. I wondered where he’d been all this time. You see, unlike me, my companions are a bit low in the IQ department.” His expression suddenly turned apologetic.

I heard Marquis yelling from outside Nathan’s door. It sounded as if someone was running around outside in panic. It wasn’t long before there was an urgent pounding on the door. With an irritated scowl, Nathan opened it.

“What?!” He growled at Marquis who cringed almost automatically. It was a bit awkward considering how big Marquis was as compared to Nathan. Romuald came panting at Marquis’ back and as soon as he saw Nathan, the lanky dark haired man developed a sudden interest on the floor and dropped his beady gaze. “I don’t suppose the two of you have any idea why we have a guest tonight.” There was a hint of sarcasm in Nathan’s voice as he gritted the words between his teeth.

“Told you this was goin’ to cause us trouble.” Romuald mumbled to Marquis.

“Stuff it!” Marquis hissed over his shoulder.

“Well?” Nathan demanded folding his hands in front of his chest.

“T’was Marquis’ idea...” Romuald muttered stupidly.

With a few deep breaths as if to control his anger from building up, a smile trailed on Nathan’s pale lips. “Simple instructions, boys. I give you a no-brainer task and this?” He sounded so dangerously nice it made the three of us flinch.

Marquis stayed quiet as Romuald fidgeted with his vest mumbling. “So... do—do you want us to take her back then?”

Marquis threw him a fierce glare as if to say Shut your trap or we’ll be dead fish, idiot!

For once, the unwavering smile on Nathan’s face vanished. There was a troubled look about his eyes as he sank on the stool in front of his canvas stand. Between frustration and melancholy, I couldn’t really point out.

“There’s no point in doing that now, is there?” His jaws were clenched, his hands balled into fists on his sides.

I opened my mouth, hesitated then finally found the courage to speak. “N-Nathaniel... Please, just... just let me go. I—I shouldn’t be here.”

Mechanically, a humourless laughter left his lips as though I just said something really hilarious.  “Not a chance. Leon’s probably thinking now that I had you kidnapped so—“

“But you did!” I snapped and his eyes smouldered again though his smile did not even falter.

“Or perhaps not. But no matter. Let Leon worry and suffer for a while longer. This’ll be fun.” I could see hate in his expression.

“Why are you doing this?” I demanded trying very hard to keep my voice firm. “Leon’s your brother!”

His face dimmed for a fraction of a second but he managed to recover with that miserable empty smile. “Don’t trouble yourself about it.” He snatched the empty canvas from the stand behind him and picked up a pencil before he headed to the door beckoning the other two as he did.