Chapter Seven (Revised )

Alex and I had know eachother for 17 years, been friends for 15 of those and been best friends for 14 of that and not once had I ever considered it developing into more. The moment I had experienced even an inkling of attraction, what did I do? I screwed him. Trying to clear my head, I took a deep breath. I'd always known that it was possible to be a whore without being an addict, but I'd outdone myself this time. This was a shit salad with a side of shit. I'd somehow gone from kissing a childhood best friend, to taking off my clothes for Danny to actually having sex with my current best friend. I'd somehow turned into my mother.

Banging my head against the pillow in frustration, the consequences of my actions were running rampant in my mind. I snuck a peek at Alex. They had clearly yet to sink into his.

He settled in next to me and snuggled his face into my neck. "Makes you glad our door bell's broken, huh?" It was kind of awkward because I was still cuffed to the bed.

"Alex?"

"Hm?" he asked against my skin giving me goose bumps.

I shrugged the shoulder closest to him and cut off the access to my neck. "Can you go get the bolt cutters? I kind of forgot to steal the keys to these suckers."

"What if we're not finished?" He asked, fingers slowly walking down my stomach. And damn me if I didn't want to let him have his way with me again.

"Alex," I sighed despite the slow burn in the pit of my stomach. "Knock it off and help me out of this predicament. My hands are falling asleep."

"Fine," he pouted rolling out of bed and throwing on his boxers. I was perfectly attuned to every movement he made, both minor and major as he left my room to get the bolt cutters. Every time I blinked, images of his body haunted me like the most beautiful nightmare I could conjure. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't reconcile the man I had willfully had sex with, with my best friend. "Alex is my best friend. Alex is my best friend. Alex is my best friend." It became my mantra as I chanted it in my head over and over trying my hardest to convince myself that was all he was meant to be.

Just as I was sure I had been successful, he walked back in, bolt cutters in hand and all the progress I'd made went out the window. He strolled over to me completely at ease with our state of affairs. My heart, which had finally established a steady rhythm, fluttered in my chest. It wouldn't stop regardless of my silent reprimand.

When the bed stopped moving I tried pulling my arms down only to meet the same resistance from the cold biting metal of the cuffs. I automatically looked up and into the dark brown depths of Alex's eyes. What I found there frightened me. "Alex?" I asked uneasily, "Are you going to let me go anytime this year?"

His eyes burned into me and I couldn't maintain eye contact with him. My face flushed in embarrassment, but there was nothing I could do or say in my defense that wouldn't make the situation worse. "What's the matter?" he asked as if he had no clue why I could possibly be distressed. At the sound of the chains snapping, I immediately rolled off of the bed taking my sheets with me.

"Nothing," I clipped out frostily.

"Try again" he quipped, an eyebrow rising in sarcastic inquisition.

I quickly got dressed and found that with every additional item of clothing that separated us, it became progressively easier to forget what happened. That right there... well that right there was a bold faced lie, because nothing short of a miracle could make me forget that I'd just had mind blowing sex with my best friend who up until an hour ago had been strictly limited to a platonic relationship.

"Okay Alex, you're a fairly intelligent guy. How could you even ask that? Of course something is wrong. We just slept together for Cripe's sake!"

"I'd venture to say we did a lot more than sleeping," he commented facetiously.