Rookie in Love [Chapter Fourteen]

Chapter Fourteen

            I must have fallen asleep last night before Jackson came back into the room because I wake up under the covers in my clothes.  Jackson is in the shower and I lie awake in bed, trying to convince myself that I am different and enough for him.  I’m not very convincing.

            I pretend that everything is ok when he kisses me goodbye on his way out to practice.  Before we leave my room, he stops at the jewelry box that belonged to my mother and touches the little dancer on top.  “Why doesn’t she dance, Rookie?”  He asks me and I shrug my shoulders. 

            “My aunt says that my mother played her too much.”  I trace my finger over her small frame and wonder what song she used to dance too.  I want nothing more in this moment than to call my mother and ask her about love.   “I wish she would dance for me.”

            “Let me take her home and see what I can do.”  Jackson traces a line from my forehead to the tip of my nose and then leans in and gives me a kiss.  “No promises but I might be able to fix her.”  I nod my head yes and my heart allows me to hope for a minute that he can fix her and that we are ok.  I didn’t read the messages on his phone last night, but I wanted to. 

            “I will see you tonight, Maddy.”  Jackson tucks the jewelry box under his arm and grabs his bag.  He gives me one last kiss and then leaves my apartment. 

            I decide it is time to check back in with Greg, so I curl up in my bed and make the call.  If I had made the call yesterday, I would have told him I wanted to be with Jackson.  Today, I decide that maybe his prediction is coming true.  His phone rings a few times and then his assistant Emily picks up.  “Hey Madeline, it’s Emily.  Greg can’t get to his phone right now. He is in the office trying to sort some things out before Monday.  Do you want to leave a message?”  I shake my head no but then realize she can’t see me.

            “No, Emily.  I just thought I would catch him.  How is he?”

            “To be honest, I’m not sure.  He seems ok during the day but the nights are really rough.”  I can hear empathy in her voice and I hope that he will confide in her while he is away from me.  I miss our friendship and know he must miss having someone to talk to also. 

            “I will try to call again soon, Emily.  Thanks for being there for him.”  We say our goodbyes and I make my way into the shower so that I can start my day.  When I get out I can see that my phone has a message from Caleb. 

            Caleb: Hey Madeline.  I miss you.  Sorry about lunch the other day.  Ben can be intense.

            Me:  Miss you too.  Lunch sucked!  Ben passed intense years ago.

            Caleb:  Meet me for lunch today.  No grilling you for state secrets I promise.  ;)

            Me: I would love to.

            We decide to meet at a little sandwich shop close to campus.  He looks more relaxed today, wearing jeans and a t-shirt instead of his suit.  His arms engulf me in a hug when I get to his table.  We sit down and order our sandwiches.  I have always been close to Caleb and I haven’t noticed with all the stress lately how much I have missed talking to him.

            “I have really missed you, Caleb.” 

            “I have missed you too, Madeline.  Ben is all spun up over this Greg and Jackson thing and has been making everyone’s life hell for days.  He is so sure Jackson is wrong for you that he can’t look past what he has heard and see the whole picture.”  The waitress brings our drinks and smiles at Caleb.   Caleb returns her smile causing her to blush.