Chapter 4: Sugar-Low

Vote!!  Video to the right! (Explanation of vid at bottom of chapter)

~To breath the name, of your Savior in your hour of need. And taste the blame, if the flavor shall remind you of greed. ~In all these turmoil, before red cape and turmoil, come closing in for a kill. ~Don't walk away, don't walk away, oh when the world is burning. Don't walk away, don't walk away, oh when your heart is burning.

~It's all a game. Avoiding failure, when true colors will bleed.

**********************************************************************************************************

“David I’m so sorry,” I whispered for the third time as I leaned heavily against the wall. David stood with his back to me and aggressively rubbed his jaw.

“I can just get this suit jacket dry cleaned,” he said in a husky voice and shrugged out of his suit jacket. I watched his muscles in his jaw move as he dangled the jacket in front of him and then flopped it to his side. He turned to me then, and motioned to his barf-stained shoes. “These I can’t fix. They’re ruined.”

“I’m—“

He put a hand up, his eyes on the ground. “I need to walk to the office. I’m not getting any throw up on my car. You can stay here and I’ll come back when I get changed,” he said dismissively and began to take long strides away, his white button down seeming more of a grey against the dark, gloomy sky.

“Wait! I’ll walk with you,” I yelled after him, but it hadn’t come out as loud as I needed it to be. I felt tears sting painfully against my eyes when he didn’t turn around. He was leaving me and I didn’t even get to ask him if he saw what I had seen, the clown, and if what I had really witnessed was true or if I was just imagining it all.

One thing’s for sure, the humility of the situation was having an major impact on me.

 I took a careful step from the car and light-heated, weak. I stumbled a little and caught myself on the metal pole of a stop sign. I was going to burst in tears at any moment I just knew it.

David turned around and walked backwards, his hands in his pockets. Where I had thrown up on him seemed minuscule to the rest of his body and was at the top of his left leg and the edge of his left rib. He clearly was obsessed with his car and didn’t want to get a drip of dirt on it.

He stopped about twenty feet away from me and just stood there staring at me. I tried to take a step forward but my legs wouldn’t respond. I swallowed and I tasted bitter acid that made me quench for something—anything to drink. My skin was feeling more and more hot by the second and I was sweating. I felt my eyes water and the world blurred. David was in front of me now. Standing there once again and just staring at me with narrowed eyes.

What was he thinking?

I felt myself slip backwards and then I felt David’s hand fist itself into my sweatshirt at the last moment and I was suspended in the air. I heard him chuckle deep within his throat before he pulled on my sweatshirt and hoisted me back onto my feet.

“I don’t care what anyone says. You can’t walk I a straight line without going a bit cross-eyed,” he mumbled by my ear making my eyebrows twitch a little. I didn’t want to be a damsel in distress! His hand circled my back and then he bent me backwards. My back hit the freezing cold car and I strived to stay against it I was so burning hot.

David took off my sweatshirt and threw it inside the car as I lay against the ice-cube surface of the vehicle. I was starting to cool off and began to feel Goosebumps.