Chapter 2

When I walked into Mr. Rush's room the next day, his eyes automatically found mine from where he sat behind his desk. He had a worried expression on his face too. I had a good idea why.

At the beginning of the school year, I was like everyone else. I tried my best as I always did at my school work. I was actually an all A student. That was before my mom's death and the awful truth I found behind it. I changed. I started slacking, and I stopped respecting my teachers. I just no longer cared. My dad promised me I wouldn't have a future without him, and I knew I wasn't going to college. I didn't have any hope when it came to my education. It was around that time that Mr. Rush started paying more attention to me. For whatever reason, it never went away.

Students finished filing in just before the bell rang, signaling the start of class. A few seconds later, Mr. Rush moved up in front of the room and looked out to his students as he began speaking. "Alright guys," he said, pursing his lips. "We have a lot to get through today, so I will jump into the lesson plan in a moment. First, I want to talk about the upcoming trip. I received an email this morning from the English department, asking to address details."

Everyone sure became focused after hearing him say that. I watched and listened with attentive eyes as he explained. "Each of you will be part of a group of eight. In each group, there will be either a teacher or chaperone to keep everything organized and in check." As he explained, I looked him over with annoyed eyes. He stood straight and never faltered. I caught him looking at me more than usual as he addressed the class. "You will be assigned randomly into these groups. Now, that group is responsible for choosing ahead of time what they want to do with the time they are given to explore different attractions. What is not an option is straying from the group. Curfew remains the same. Also, don't bother trying to sneak alcohol because you will often be checked and be supervised at all times."

He walked slowly down the rows of our desks, expressing with his hands as he continued to speak. "Some of the places you must attend. As you know, we will all collectively go to different attractions. Every night, there is an optional dinner with the entire junior class. So remember to bring formal clothing as well. Also, when you are escorted back to your rooms, according to the hotel, there are no TVs. It helps because you will be expected to get enough rest for how early you are to be up the next day." He made it to the front of the room again and turned to face us. "In a few days, there will be a brief assembly going over specifics about everything else. For now, though, any questions?"

A girl from across the room raised her hand. "Will we be allowed to take our cameras?"

He nodded. "Yes. However, Mr. Howard put me in charge of the yearbook photos. So you don't have to bring a camera if you would be satisfied with the ones in the yearbook."

I wanted to laugh because it was plain on his face just how 'enthusiastic' he was about the principal putting him on picture duty. He really did not look excited with how blank and dull his expression was.

We got into the lesson plan after we were done talking about the trip. Which meant discussing the book that he assigned us to read for class. It was a boring hour, like usual. When the bell rang, I grabbed my books, heading towards the door. Before I could leave for my math class, Mr. Rush's voice rang through the air. "May I have a word with you, Janice?"

I turned to him and smirked. "Your eyes just can't get enough of me, Mr. Rush?"

A few chuckles came but were soon gone as the door shut and we were alone. My comment didn't affect him as he shook his head in disappointment. A second later, though, a few students came in and took their seats as his next class, along with mine, was about to start.