Just emotions...

Chapter Four

"Baylor," I said with a sigh. "When, oh, when, can Justin ever realize that Destiny's just not the right girl for him? I mean, I'm not saying that I'm the right girl for him, but...everyone knows that she just isn't."

Baylor let out a weird sound, and I continued stroking his fur. "Is he blinded by love? It's no wonder they say that love's a tricky business." I squeezed my eyes shut and swallowed hard.

Baylor remained quiet. He's just the best listener in the world.

"Thank you for being here for me from the start, Baylor. I love you so much!" He climbed onto my lap and looked up at me, and barked. It looked like he smiled, but I wasn't certain.

Baylor's my other quarter. Besides Jaden and my mom. And...if, ever...the last quarter will be...Justin.

"I have died everyday, waiting for you...darling, don't be afra- " I picked up the call and held my phone close to my ear. "Good morning!"

"Selena?" That husky voice...so familiar. I jumped a little, my eyes widening instinctively. Wait, what is he doing, calling me?

"J-Justin? Wh-What are - I mean, uh, yeah, what's up?" Damn it! Selena Gomez, you are NOT to stutter. Not now, anyway!

"Um...I-I...please tell me what's wrong. Everything's not right. I can sense it. You can tell me anything, Sel." His voice begged me so...eagerly. It seemed so...sad and hurt and worried.

"There's nothing to say...but I've only got some things to say to Destiny. Later on..." I mumbled her name.

"Selena, you know I love you. As a sister. So you can trust me."

As a sister just explained everything, Justin. Every, single, thing. "I do trust you, Justin. But I can't tell you. I could tell you everything but this. I'm sorry. You'll learn about it soon. But just not now. I'm sorry, Justin."

For a few moments...there was no answer on the other line. "I-I gotta go. I'll see you later." And with that, he hung up.

I dropped my phone on my bed...and I grounded my teeth...and I hugged Baylor closer to me...and I...I broke down crying.

Baylor's constant howls seemed like he was trying to cheer me up, but nothing was helping. I couldn't stop crying. I'm just so...evil. I'm nothing but a bitch. A jerk. I hurt the guy I love with all my heart. Again. For the second time.

I picked up my phone and dialed Jaden's number. I placed my finger on the Call button, but I froze instantly.

He can't hear me in this state.

He's gonna question me.

He's gonna tell Justin.

I dragged my finger away from the button and erased his number.

Stay strong, Selena.

"Hey, Pattie!" I exclaimed, when I entered the kitchen.

Pattie closed the fridge door and spun around to face me. She smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Selena! You're here! Anyway," she pulled back, still with a smile on her face. "Justin's upstairs. I think Jaden's there, too. But I'm not sure - you know how sneaky Jaden is." She shook her head, amused.

I let out a laugh. "Of course. I'll see you later, Pattie!" Well, she didn't mention anything about Destiny, so...cheese!

She waved at me, and I ran up the stairs, dashing into Justin's room instantly, when I reached the ground.