:Waist-Deep In Walmart: Capitulo Veintiuno!

I tapped my pencil on my desk impatiently, my eyes glued to the analog clock on the wall. One more minute. Then my last final was over. Excitement bubbled up inside me at the prospect. Not only would my high school days be over, but Anthony was also taking me out to dinner tonight. To my favorite restaurant.

            As soon as the bell rung I was on my feet, clenching my pencil in my hand. Before I could even take one step though, someone grabbed my shoulders, pulling me to a stop. Confused, I glanced over my shoulder at my blonde friend Jack. “What?”

            “What are you in a rush for?” he asked, grinning. “Hot date?”

            “Er, yeah, kind of.”

            His expression fell a little. “Oh. When? Me, Caroline, and the rest were going to go out for lunch to celebrate finishing the last final exam.”

            “I’m leaving at five, but I wanted to go home and take a shower and clean a little bit, sorry,” I apologized, biting my lip.

            “We’ve barely hung out this last month…”

            “I know, I know,” I responded, sighing lightly. “It’s because of my boyfriend. I’ve been busy.

            He held up his hand. “Say no more. When I first started dating my girlfriend, we were inseparable.”

            “You still are,” I pointed out with a smile.

            “Yes, but not as much as we used to be. You’ll realize you’ll need room at some point. Maybe three months in. But since you’re not coming today, you’re coming out to dinner with us after graduation.”

            “Actually, my mom…” I trailed off at his threatening look. “Just kidding. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind if I went out with my friends first! Haha…”

            A grin broke out across his face. “Good!”

            “Okay, see you then,” I said, giving him a little wave.

            “Have fun on your hot date.”

            “I will,” I laughed, heading for the door. “Have a nice vacation, Ms. Adams!”

            My teacher smiled and waved. “You too, Ellie.”

            I hastened down to the student parking lot, hoping to make it out before all the other students who drove to school created a back up. Luckily, it seemed most of the students were loitering around the parking lot chatting with friends. There were no busses either, since the underclassmen were still in class. I managed to make it out in record time. Turning up my stereo, I rolled down my windows, enjoying the cool breeze on the warm summer day. I could already tell it was going to be a great day.

            When I got home, Julius’s and Anthony’s cars were in my driveway, forcing me to park on the street. “Mason? Anthony?” I called upon entering my home. “Where are you?”

            “Downstairs!” came the muffled reply.

            After kicking off my shoes, I headed to my basement. Just before I opened the door, I heard a cell phone go off in the kitchen. Recognizing Anthony’s ring tone, I hurried over to it, glancing at the called I.D. It was unknown. I turned to call Anthony, but stopped myself short. What if this was the same person that called him the other day? Wouldn’t now be a great chance to find out? But I couldn’t invade his privacy like that… But then again, I wouldn’t be able to give him the phone in time.