Chapter Three

Nina, still furious, didn’t go out any more that night. Instead she locked herself in her room, down the hall from Skittles’ silent bedroom. Correction: Skittles’ empty bedroom.

            “Hey, Joy! It’s me Skittles, sorry to just appear on your doorstep!” Skittles practiced under her breath, “Yeah, I know I’m a total jerk at school, I was just hoping you’d somehow help me!” Skittles scoffed, kicking at the gravel on the road. Why did I ever think this was a good idea? Skittles wondered. She had to get out of the house, and the only person she could think of right now was Joy. And even that was completely ridiculous. Skittles held the worn school phone book in her hand.

            “Man, I feel like such a stalker,” Skittles murmured to herself. She was less than a block away from Joy’s house—according to the phone book. There—a Victorian house with a calming fountain out front. It fit Joy so well, Skittles thought: nice, reserved, and calm. Everything she wasn’t, Skittles realized sadly. She could see friendly, warm lights beaming from behind the curtains. Who was she kidding? Skittles didn’t belong here, this wasn’t her territory. Her territory was worn down cheap-o apartments with hot-headed people, apparently.

Her feet dragged up the stairs to the porch of Joy’s house, and her hand somehow found the doorbell. Skittles then panicked and immediately wished she hadn’t come at all. She couldn’t let anyone at school know she had a sensitive side! It was completely out of the question! Footsteps stomped to the door, and Skittles—pretending to be tough again—saw Joy open the door, and her expression change into a mixture of shock and confusion.

            “Um, hi… Skittles. What are you doing here?” Joy asked, her forehead creasing.

            “I just wanted to tell you,” Skittles hesitated, then scolded herself for appearing unsure and nervous, “that my real name is Faith.” Well, it’s better than the real explanation why I’m here, Skittles reasoned. Joy was shocked as she stared at Skittles.

            “What? You came here to tell me that? Your real name is Faith?” Joy didn’t know how to react: who would, with Skittles on their doorstep, showing emotion besides anger?

            “Look, either invite me in or let me go, okay? Don’t just stand there like an idiot,” Skittles growled at Joy.

            “Um, yeah, sure. Come in,” Joy mumbled distractedly, waving her hand in a welcoming motion. Skittles peered past Joy, studying the shiny wood flooring, cushy couches, nice wall TV, spiny chairs, and shag carpet under the glass coffee table.

            “Don’t mind if I do,” Skittles replied, pushing past Joy and sauntering into her house, classic Skittles-style.

            “Joy? Who’s there?” Marc called, wondering who could possibly be at the door. He stopped short at the sight of a strange girl raiding the kitchen cupboards. “Joy,” he called again, quietly, “why is some girl I don’t know raiding our cupboards?”

            “My name’s Skittles. I’m not deaf, you know. But I am hungry. What good food do you have?” Skittles said bluntly.

            “Uh,” is all Marc can say, still staring at the rude girl, who moved on to the fridge.

            “Dangit, why can’t richies like you at least have whipped cream, or some chocolate milk?” Skittles mumbled, pulling out a bottle of cream soda. “I guess this will have to do. But seriously,” Skittles took a second to pop off the cap of the cream soda with her teeth and spit it towards the trash can, “update your fridge.” Joy was surprisingly not shocked by Skittles’ behavior: after all, this was Skittles. But her father was not pleased at all.

            “Joy, please ask your little friend here to leave. I’ve got work to do. She better be gone the next time I come out here, got it?” Marc smiled, to show he was kidding—yet serious about the fact that Skittles needed to leave. Joy nodded and Marc returned to his work.

            “Ok, Skittles. Down to business. Why are you here?” Joy asked sternly, getting straight to the point. Skittles strutted over to Joy’s living room, seated herself on the white comfy couch and casually turned on the TV.

            “Well,” she started, then paused to take a swig of her cream soda, “there’s probably some reason. But…” she paused again, distracted by the TV show.

            “Skittles! Focus here!” Joy snapped, not too happy with Skittles invading her home.

            “Fine, fine, whatever. There’s probably some reason. But right now, I have no clue what it is,” Skittles finished, putting her feet up on the glass coffee table. Joy cringed at the sight of Skittles’ muddy boots on the clean surface.

            “Faith,” Joy started, daring to use Skittles’ real name.

            “It’s Skittles,” Skittles growled, glaring at Joy.

            “Faith, you need to leave,” Joy stated, ignoring the previous comment.

            “Yeah, yeah. I will. After this show,” Skittles replied, waving her hand dismissively.

            “No, Skittles. You need to leave now!” Joy said firmly.

            “Why, you don’t like little ole me?” Skittles asked teasingly, fluttering her eyelashes at Joy.

            “No, no, I don’t like you! And you’re being rude, so go!” Joy pointed her finger towards the door, one hand on her hip like she was showing a lost puppy the way out.

            “Fine, fine. But I get to keep the cream soda, right?” Skittles lifted the half-empty bottle. Joy wrinkled her nose.

            “Yeah, why would I take it after you’ve contaminated it?” she asked. Skittles shrugged as she hoisted herself up, spilling a few drops of golden liquid onto the white fluff of the couch. Joy stared at the stain, silently trying to will it away.

            “I dunno,” Skittles burped, “just asking. See ya tomorrow!” Skittles called over her shoulder, making her way to the door. “By the way,” she paused, half out the door, “you are never ever to repeat my real name to anyone.”

            “Um, yeah, ok. Bye,” Joy mumbled half-heartedly. Well, she thought, that was interesting! But, she realized, a smile playing across her face, I did come a step closer to figuring out the mysterious note!

Faith and Joy connect with…

Now, who will Skittles and I “connect” with? Joy wondered.