7 Minutes in Heaven (Short Story)

Start from the beginning

Josh span the bottle, and I caught my breath as the end slowly glided past me, pointing to Nicole. Instantly, blood rushed to her cheeks that complemented her green eyes perfectly. She stood up, and led Josh into the bathroom. I saw Anna watch them go with envy. She was clearly jealous, because she wanted no one touching her boy. 

Seven minutes passed quickly, amd Josh and Nicole emerged. Josh had lipstick marks on his face and neck, and Nicole's hair was slightly ruffled. Anna remained firmly in her spot, flashing Josh a steely glare. He shrugged, and I had a feeling he'd have some explaining to do when the night was over.

I was getting into the spirit of the game when it was my turn to spin. All that confidence diappeared when the bottle landed on none other than Branden. Of course. I should have seen it coming. I blushed feircely and, without meeting his eyes, led the way into the bathroom. I nervously fiddled with the shower handle until Branden closed the door, shutting off the giggles coming from beyond it.

I slowly turned to face him, but looked down again quickly, because I couldn't look him in the eyes without becoming a darker shade of red.

"So . . ." he began.

"So . . ." I repeated.

I slowly turned my gaze up to his face. He was failing to hide a small smile. I smiled back, which caused him to physically relax and smile widely. I instantly took a liking to the small gap between his two front teeth. My cheeks felt hot, so I looked at the bathtub.

"What's your name?" he asked. It took me a moment to realise he'd asked me a question.

"Jessica." I replied, looking once again into his light blue eyes. "Yours?" Stupid mistake to look him in the eyes. I traced the lines of the floor tiles wih my foot. I already knew his name, but I wanted to hear him confirm that it wa his name. And I didn't want to sound creepy when I randomly said his name.

"Branden."

Another awkward silence.

"So . . . I'm not really a fan of hooking up with girls I barely know, so . . ." I knew how he felt. I was awfully uncomfortable in this situation. "I'm going to get to know you first." I smiled at the floor tiles. He was so shy, and gentlemanly. He was so sweet.

"What's your favourite movie?" he asked randomly.

"The Love Guru."

"Really? Great movie."

"What's yours?" I asked politely.

"Transformers. All three, I can't pick the best one." I looked at him. He looked very sheepish.

"Yeah, they're hard to distinguish, aren't they?" I said, smiling. I could literally se him instantly relax. I liked this guy. He was kinda cute.

"Do you like . . . myths and legends?" I asked. It was my turn to be sheepish. He just smiled a huge dimpled smile that made me swoon a little.

"Hell yeah! Imagine if all that stuff was real! How different our world would be!" he replied enthusiastically.

"I know!" I felt myself relax, and something small fluttered in my chest. "What's your favourite creature?"

"Definitely Dragon, but Minotaur comes in close second. What's yours? Unicorn?" he teased.

"No, actually." I smiled sweetly. "Griffin."

Branden gasped in mock surprise. "Such a noble beast to love, Jessica. Tell me, why is this so?" I laughed at him, but played along.

"Because of its smooth feathers and the way it gracefully maouvers itself in the air. Why, Branden, do you favour the Dragon?"