Geek 'n Dork

Four total strangers. Four unusual names. Four guys who grew up as an only child. Four guarded hearts. Four lost souls. And now, four best friends. Each has lived his entire life as an isolated prisoner of his own quirky identity. But together, they sense in one another a strange brotherhood. They need that and more to rise up and battle an eighteen year-old, naughty little scandalous girl, in a voter fraud fiasco that shocks New York City. Set to launch late March. Brace yourself for the most fun, entertaining novel of 2012.

PARKWAY PRESS

#1 Independent Publisher

P.O. Box 252

Niles, OH 44446-0252

United States

www.ParkwayPress.com

Copyright © 2012 David Brown. All rights reserved.

PARKWAY PRESS is a trademark of Parkway Press, Ltd.

ISBN 10: 0982808941

ISBN 13: 9780982808948

Printed in the United States of America

First Edition

This is an original work of fiction. All characters, names, places, events, and incidents portrayed in this novel are either fictitious or used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, mechanical or electronic, including photocopying and recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the author or publisher (except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages and/or short brief video clips in a review.)

Caution: This novel contains adult content and is not suitable for young children.

                                                CHAPTER ONE

Meet Geek

THE MOST SKILLED SURGEON IN THE WORLD can't remove the insecurity embedded in the pit of his stomach.

A rainy, late September morning awakens New York City.A young man known by most as Geek, laces up his shoes, puts his glasses on, grabs the sport jacket he'd tossed on the back of his couch the night before, and heads out the door hoping today will be different.

Getting out of the bed each morning to face a new day is often a struggle for him. One that's a continual battle between despair and his healthy, productive side. His mind often drifts back to his childhood and how difficult it had been. He trots down the stairs from his small studio apartment on the third floor at Normandie Court, Upper East Side.

Outside, he walks at a brisk pace before sprinting. Why am I running? he thinks. Am I running toward the truth, from it, or both? As the rain begins to slow – so does he. Winded, his calves cramp up, and his lungs burn like a blacktop driveway on a scorching July afternoon. He arrives, on time, at the subway station at Lexington Avenue and 96th Street, and hops a cross-town bus to work. He makes it to work in a cheerful mood. He walks into his classroom and senses a different attitude. He can smell the tension in the air. A stale, odor of a room occupied by people breathing, yet no one's talking.

Did anybody brush their teeth this morning? he wonders. He checks his own breath under a cupped hand to make sure it's not him. His job as a new sensitivity instructor is tough - especially when no one gives a shit.