Chapter Nine - The Dinner Party

Enjoy!

Chapter 9 - The Dinner Party

My first week of school was over. It was Sunday and tomorrow I would start my second week.

Although my sleep attacks still did occur often I learned to simply deal with them. Three days ago, I had been in class. I had been listening to the teacher speak, her voice lowering into a constant hum of my own thoughts, then suddenly my face was slumped on my desk, a line of drool running down my chin. Tessa had found it quite hilarious and easily believed my quick explanation that I hadn't got much sleep the previous night. Thankfully the teacher hadn't noticed my little nap. Other times I had been close to being an occurrence that I could not explain but I still had Chase, who quickly got me out of the way before anyone noticed. I knew sometime it was going to happen and I would just have to say the truth. Yet I only wished for more time to familiarise myself with the people around me before I trusted them with this vulnerable part of myself.

"Is there any cute guys?" Ashley asked as I sat on my bed, holding my phone to my ear. I smiled to myself as I imagined the wicked smile on her face as she toyed with the phone.

"Ash, there are plenty of cute guys. You just need to come see for yourself." I said, waiting patiently with amusement as giggles erupted on the other side of the phone.

There was a knock on my door and Chase's head appeared.

"Dinner's ready in five. Gran is having guests over so she said to dress nice."

I nodded my head in reply and floating head disappeared but a moment later it came back. "Is that Ashley?" He asked, jerking his head towards the phone.

"Yes. Tell Gran I'll be there soon like an obedient grandchild in a nice dress. I winked, before turning back to the phone, intent on asking Ashley to describe each and every detail of home, to somehow pacify the longing I felt in my stomach.

"Tell Ashley I said hello." Chase said, ducking his head and closing the door.

"Chase says hi." I said, while rearranging the many pillows on the bed to suit my own comfort.

"I miss you guys." She said, her voice suddenly monotone. "It is just not the same without you. No one will let me watch all those Twilight movies over and over just so I can see Jacob's fine ass body. Sophie called me demented when I suggested it to her and Steve won't even let me mention the word perfectly chiselled abs."

I let out a bark of laughter.

"I miss you too... and Jacob's fine ass body." I said, my throat becoming alarmingly tight. As the conversation continued, I struggled to focus on the line of dialogue when my thoughts only wanted to dwell on how much I missed home. Once we both had said what we wanted to, the conversation lulled and we both said our goodbyes.

For a moment I stared at the now silent phone, struggling to push away the sudden sadness threatening to overwhelm me.

Dinner. Focus on dinner.

I scanned my closet for appropriate clothes while my thoughts unconsciously filtered through the phone call I had with my parents earlier that morning. My mother asked continually how I was, her voice quivered once with emotion that we both decided to ignore. She asked me questions about every part of my life here from the weather to friends I had made. My father excitedly told me the details of the cruise, including the on board spa and golf course. His enthusiasm had brightened my day while simultaneously opened up the pang of longing to see their faces.

If I continued on like this, I would end up in a ball on the floor rather than ready for a dinner party.

I bit my lip, picking out the first colour to catch my eye, a emerald green blouse and dark trousers, with a pair of black boots. It wasn't fancy, but it would do for now. My hair, which had been temperamental lately, was too thick and unruly to pass off as neat. To elevate it's messiness, I pulled into into a tight pony tail at the top of my head, allowing the wavy ends to tickle the back of my neck.