Chapter Two - The Trail to Recovery

Chapter Two

The Trail to Recovery

The next moment Kaitlin was aware of was when she felt someone dribble water into her mouth. She could feel gentle, strong hands on her. She was aware of a presence, but she could not open her eyes. A cool cloth wiped her face, but still, her eyes would not open. Could this be Jed with the gentle hands? Her mind screamed, NO!

Why couldn't she think clearly? What was this fog shrouding her mind? No stench assailed her senses, so it couldn't be Jed. What had happened? Where was he?

Strong hands lifted her and cradled her against a warm, rock-hard chest. This was no Jed holding her so tenderly against such a fit body. The physical attributes couldn't really fit Papa, but could it be him? Had he had a change of heart? Or was it Bradley? Who was caring for her when she couldn't care for herself?

Spirit Bear was immediately aware of her change in breathing. Would the winyan finally open her eyes? Her spirit must be preparing her physical body to awaken. He protectively cradled her body closer to his chest. Runs with the Wind was so in tuned with his master's body that no instruction was necessary for guidance. The stallion instinctively did what the chief wanted; their minds were linked.

Behind the great color-splashed stallion, a line-back dun mare and a black gelding walked. Each was laden with a body draped just behind its withers. Spirit Bear was fortunate to be able to save the girl from the white snakes he'd captured although he'd had to wound the men. Even though he'd taken pleasure in that, he hadn't killed the human dogs. He would take them back to the village for that. He was sure they would find a suitable end when he allowed the families of the missing maidens and the young boy to deliver justice.

It was a shame that the woman whom had touched the heart of his spirit helper had been injured. The filth tied to the saddles would pay for that as well. Spirit Bear's protective embrace tightened around the winyan ska. He could not help but to be attracted to this golden girl.

Although nudity was not uncommon in his village, he kept finding his eyes drawn to the ripped fabric of her dress that revealed a good portion of her creamy breast. When he had gently picked up the girl, it had nearly spilled out of her ripped dress. It had ignited a hunger for her that he could no longer ignore.

A buzzing and crackling noise in her ears finally stirred Kaitlin to her senses. She was on the brink of awakening. She felt her head cradled and lifted softly while something warm was dribbled into her mouth. She coughed and spluttered and finally managed to crack her eyes open.

Blinking in rapid succession in the dusk, she could make out a figure above her. Long, loose black hair fringed a very handsome but very warrior-like face. Those full lips she had once dreamed of crushing hers were but a hand's reach away. Obsidian eyes shaded by black manly brows complimented his straight nose. High cheekbones and bronze skin left no doubt to whose arms she was nestled in.

Although she was aware he was helping her, it did not completely calm the immediate alarm she experienced. Whites were taught to fear Indians. Whether whites deserved retaliation from the Native Americans or not, the red man was the one who'd earned the harsh reputation; he was seen as a savage with no morals or reverence for human life. Indians were incomprehensible and committed unspeakable murders and tortures against innocent civilians.

White man, however, was blameless in whatever pursuits he engaged in within the boundaries of the Indians' territories - or so the women folk were led to believe. With both cultures practicing vast differences in beliefs and philosophies, each culture unknowingly offended the other. Problems were bound to arise.

Spirit Bear felt the golden one tense when she saw who was holding her in an inclined position. Did she fear him more than the growling sunka ska who had hurt her? Did she not understand what would have happened to her had he not intervened? Did her fear of him overrule her common sense?