Chapter 17

Ryan's POV

I signaled her my index finger before leaving my room.

I walked over to her house and made my way up to her room, but not before I was stopped my Rachel, Melissa's mom.

"Hello Ryan, how was your day?" She said, while walking from the kitchen with a dirty apron.

"Good, good. I just came to see how you girls are settling in..." I said, trying to not make it seem like I was only here to see my mate, though, from the look on her face, I knew she knew the truth about why I was here.

"You know, you don't have to lie to me. I once was your age, and had my mate. I remember what it felt like always wanting to be with them." She said, and though he voice sounded off teasing, it ended up sounding pained, just like Victor's had. I reacted without thinking and I hugged her. She wrapped her arms around me gently. This was my mate's mother, she treated her well and took care of her, I owed my life to this woman as much as I owed my life to my mate if ever need be.

"Things will get better, Rachel." I said, while pulling away after a few seconds. She had tears on the brim of her eyes. She nodded and smiled weekly at me.

"Alrighty, let's not keep my daughter waiting. Have a nice visit Ryan, and you're welcome to stay for dinner if you'd like." She said, while clearing her voice of any traces of sadness.

"Thanks." I said, and then she turned and went back towards the kitchen. As I was going up the stairs to Mel's room, I couldn't help but think that, Rachel and Victor would make a perfect couple, I mean I know they're are not each other's mates, but maybe just as a friend, or even girlfriend/boyfriend.

All of these thoughts momentarily dissaperead from my mind the second I saw Mel standing in her doorway. I ran to her the moment my foot made contact on the last step. I picked her up into my arms, only to be rewarded with her cute little chuckle.

"Ryan, put me down." I held onto her a second more before doing as she asked. She looked up at me with something in her eyes, that I had already seen before, it was love, and I could feel my heart swell twice in size at the thought of knowing that, my little mate, loved me.

"Hey." I said, without even trying to hide my goofy smile on my face. She smiled brilliantly back at me.

"Hey." She said a little breathless.

"Thank you for the note." She said, reaching on her tip toes to give me a light kiss on the lips. I was so caught up in the light kiss that it took me a second to realize, I had no idea what she was talking about. I pulled away, while still holding her close.

"Why don't we go in my room?" She asked, shyly. I smiled at her while she pulled out of my arms walked into her bedroom. She went and sat on her bed and I followed after her, sitting beside her on the foot of her bed.

I pulled her into my lap, earning myself another small girlish giggle.

"What has you all giggly tonight?" I asked, while kissing the top of her head. This is what I meant by just being with my mate, just holding her and being with her was all I wanted.

"I'm just so happy you're back, your note helped a little as well." She said, while kissing my cheek and leaning more into my chest.

This caught my attention, what note was she talking about?

"What note?" I asked. She stopped kissing my cheek and looked at me curiously.

"The note you wrote to me... right?" She asked, looking a little worried, maybe even hurt. Why would she be hurt, did someone hurt my mate? My wolf was growing angry, and I could almost say the same for myself.