~Scandal~29

<----VOTE! THERE'S ONLY 1 CHAPTER LEFT!! D:

Cookie: Hmm, I felt that this was a rushed chapter....*shrugs* Oh well :3 You guys can deal with it...lol

Youtube song is "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You" By N'sync...love that song!

Pic is of Evan played by Chace Crawford :D

-----

~Evan's POV~

My footsteps echoed as I walked down the white hall of the hospital. In my hands was a banquet of flowers that I had just bought from the hospital store. They were beautifully arranged in a transparent glass vase half filled with water. Their flowery scent tickled my nose but not able to mend the pain in my heart.

    Swallowing, I paused in front of an opened door, eyes landing on the freshly made bed that had been occupied just an hour before. My eyes began to burn as it lingered on the maroon covers, a lump burning in my throat.

     "E-Evan?"

    I turned my attention away from the empty bed and found Kim, Derek's little sister gazing up at me. Her eyes, like mine, were red from tears. I tried to smile at her but failed. "Hello, Kim."

     She sniffed and wiped her eyes. "Why'd it have to be my brother, Evan? Why Derek?"

     I closed my eyes and tried to fight off the pain. It hurt thinking about it...god it hurt so much. "I'm sorry, Kim...I wish that...I wish...."

     Kim shook her head. "It's not your fault. I don't blame you."

     I opened my eyes. "Where are your parents?"

     "Dad is with Mom, trying to calm her down." Kim sniffed again. "It's hard for her. Derek's an idiot but-"

     "He's our idiot," I finished with a soft chuckle.

      Kim smiled, eyes watery. "I'll go find them. Will you be okay?"

      I looked at the lonely abandoned bed and nodded. "Yeah."

      Kim turned to leave but hesitated, staring at the flowers. "Is...is that for..." she swallowed and looked at the empty bed, "for him?"

      I nodded. "Gone but not forgotten."

      Kim patted my arm. "You're a good guy, Evan. My bother is lucky."

      I smiled at her. "Thank you."

      "Bye." She turned and walked away without a backward glance.

      I watched her leave with a heavy heart. Straightening, I faced the door and entered, hesitating slightly before placing the vase on the table by the bed. I plucked out a white lily flower from the banquet and placed it against the pillow, bowing my head.

      "I know you're gone," I whispered, "but know that...that you were...are loved. Your family loved you very much."

      The scene earlier that day played in my head, the scene where Derek had gotten shot then falling on the ground, so still and lifeless. I remember feeling so frantic yet unable to move due to shock. I had wanted to run to him right away but seeing Derek on the ground...my mind had went blank until Shelly snapped me out of it by slapping me.