Chapter 11. Friends?*

Chapter 11. Decode by Paramore

Evan was embarrassed with her decision to make a joke of Emil's statement. It didn't come out right when she put it into words. She always made inappropriate remarks when she was giddy with fatigue. She was grateful that Emil had stayed after the fiasco with Dr. Thomas.

"Look, Emil, I really appreciate your help today. I was terrified I wasn't going to get out of there without a fight. Matt Thomas needs to be taken down a notch or two. He really thinks highly himself." Evan was trying to talk herself into reporting what he had done to her, but she had never been the vindictive type. This time she had a protector, but the next unfortunate girl Matt Thomas decided to accost might not be so lucky.

"Evan, I am glad I was there. Really. I would do it again." Emil said earnestly. She reveled in the husky sound of his accent. She knew she needed to get some sleep, because she was thinking things about him she would not have thought if she had her wits about her. At least that was what she was telling herself. Like how the sound of his voice struck a chord somewhere deep in her belly, how his lips would feel on her neck, and if his cool hands could extinguish the fire she had allowed to take hold in her gut. Instead of trying to find out, Evan decided to try to treat him like she would any other new friend.

"Thanks. You're a good guy, and thanks for keeping me company. I was more than a little creeped out this morning. I would count that as a good attribute for a friend. So how about it? Friends?" She extended her hand playfully toward Emil in the international sign of friendship.

Evan watched a brief play of emotions cross Emil's face. He smiled slowly, and the change on his face was like rays of sun emerging from behind clouds. It was dazzling. She was taken slightly aback by the coolness of the hand that reached out and grasped hers gently.

"Friends? I think I would like that," Emil said softly. He pulled his hand back to his lap, and then folded his hands together. "So in my new friend's best interest, I am going to ask: What are you going to do about the jerk who accosted you this morning?"

Evan noted the hardness in his eyes when he mentioned the last. "Well, it's Sunday, and HR isn't open today. I was going to call them, or go in tomorrow and file a sexual harassment complaint."

"Do you think you should go to the police about it? It isn't like he just made a crude joke in your presence, he was choking you, holding you against your will." Emil was now leaning closer to Evan, looking intently into her eyes.

It's as if he was trying to force me into doing what he wants, Evan thought. He was boring into her eyes with such intensity she couldn't look away.

"Emil, I don't want to do that. I think HR will deal with him enough. He will be lucky if he gets to keep his medical license, let alone stay at the hospital. I don't want to push him too far."

"Precisely. You going to the hospital administrator may set him off anyway. If you let the police in on what is going on, you can get some sort of record made in case he tries to bother you again," Emil said impatiently.

"I know, but I just want to get it over with. I think it'll be fine. Sam will keep his eye on me," Evan said, trying to reassure her new friend.

"Well, maybe I'll have a talk with Sam, then. You can't be too careful with men who think they can take whatever they want. Better yet, maybe I will be more visible where you're concerned. He wouldn't dare come near you if I were around."

"Emil, I don't need a babysitter." Evan was the impatient one now. The thought of him being more present in her life sent a thrill through her she couldn't quite explain. "Anyway, I am off work for the next three nights. I won't be there to risk any more run-ins with Matt Thomas. I will just go in tomorrow morning and file a complaint. Then I want to go visit the boy you brought in again. He is supposed to go home Tuesday, and I want to just say 'hi' to him and his family."

"Okay. But I still want you to be cautious. After Dr. Thomas is called in for his actions, there is no telling what that man is capable of. He doesn't know where you live, does he?" Emil didn't look happy, but he was apparently conceding this first battle.

"No, I'm unlisted. 'Single white female' and all that." Evan was trying to make light of the situation, but Emil was not to be appeased, by the set of the stony frown on his face. "Look, Emil, I really appreciate your concern. I haven't had anyone look out for me since I was a little kid. I'm just not used to it. I really need to get some sleep. And I don't think I can go to sleep if I know you are sitting here." Evan smiled, giving a reminder of her uninvited visit from that morning. "So, let me give you my phone number. If you want to talk again, you can call me."

Evan got up, went to the kitchen and quickly returned with a piece of blue paper with her number on it. Emil was standing next to the fireplace, extending his hands to the flames.

"Do you want me to put the fire out?" he asked, reaching for the small shovel and poker next to the fireplace.

"Oh sure! I've never gotten a fire going good enough to worry about that before." She watched as he made short work of the ashes and remaining flames.

He turned to her smiling. He took the slip of paper she held out to him.

"I only have a cell. I'm not here enough to need a home phone. So you will always get me." Evan wanted to drag the moment on for as long as she could. She didn't think Emil would have done all he had for her if he did not want to see her again. She did not think she could take it if she never saw him again. He felt like air for her, she realized.

"I will keep this close, so I can keep tabs on you." Emil said as he pocketed the slip of paper. She did not trust her voice at his words. She nodded and smiled.

"Get some sleep, Evan. You look like the walking dead." Emil said as he pulled on the coat he had laid over the arm of the chair next to hers.

As he walked toward the front door, Evan moved after him and before he could open the door, she said, "Emil."

When he turned, she stepped quickly to him and put her arms around his waist, thinking that she wanted to feel what the other woman had felt the day before. Her first sensation was to feel Emil stiffen when she put her arms around him. The second was how cold he was. Those first two thoughts were quickly pushed from her mind when his arms hesitantly came up and wrapped around her. After a moment, she looked up and saw a pained look on his face, not understanding what it meant.

"Thank you," she said, as she pulled away, and opened the door for him. She couldn't help but notice the relief that washed over Emil's face as she moved farther away from him.

He nodded at her, and stepped out onto the porch. Then he turned, not quite meeting her eyes, with an odd look on his face, his eyes narrowed, as if to hide his true expression.

"Um...if you think you would like a ride to the hospital tomorrow, I would be willing to drive you." He had a half smile on his face, looking like he was unsure if his request would be taken seriously.

"I wouldn't ask you to do that. You probably have work to do tomorrow, don't you?"

"I work for myself, I do not answer to anyone else. Just call me if you want me to drive you." Then he turned and was in his car and down the road in moments.

Evan wondered what he did for work. Surely he didn't just go around saving helpless women and children. He looked too uncomfortable with the attention to make a habit of such a thing.

She shut and locked the door, then dead-bolted it. She checked her back door lock and then locked the basement door, just to be sure. Then she went upstairs and crawled into her big empty bed. For a long time, she couldn't keep her eyes closed; every time she closed them, images of the encounter with Matt Thomas replayed in her mind. Each time it got worse. Emil didn't come to her rescue in one dream, then in the next image Matt Thomas had put both hands on her neck and squeezed. After about an hour of struggling, she turned over and pulled the blanket over her head. When she turned, a sweet rush of a familiar scent washed over her, wrapping her in a cocoon of warmth. She drifted off to sleep and didn't wake until the next morning.