Chapter 11

My phone rang, rousing me from a deep sleep. I grumbled and felt around on my bedside table for it. I finally located it and answered it. “Hello?” I said in a sleepy voice.

            “Hey Hailey, I’m sorry to wake you up so early,” Sophie said.

            I glance at the clock and saw that it was barely seven in the morning. “It is Saturday, right?” I asked.

            “Yeah, I’m really sorry. But I think Blake might need you right now.”

            All sleepiness vanished. “What do you mean?”

            She hesitated. “He just got off the phone with his parents, and I don’t think it went too well. He’s in his room and I can hear him throwing things around.”

            I swung my legs over the side of my bed. “I’ll be there in fifteen minutes,” I said before hanging up. I got dressed quickly and then headed to Jared’s room. I knocked on the door and opened it before he answered. “Hey Jared-”

            I stopped abruptly when I realized he wasn’t alone. “Crap, sorry. Didn’t realize anyone else was in here.”

            Jared sat up and rubbed his hands over his face. “It’s okay Hales. What’s wrong?”

            “I’m going to Blake’s. Sophie just called me and told me that I need to go over there.”

            “Everything okay?”

            I sighed. “I don’t know. Something about a phone call from his parents. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know where I was going to be. Can you let Tonto out later? He didn’t even budge when I got up, so he’ll need to go out in a few hours.”

            “Sure, I’ll even take him for a run.”

            “Thanks Jared, you’re the best. I’ll see you later.” I closed the door again and hurried out to the garage. I hopped in the car and made the drive to Blake’s quickly. When I got there, Sophie was waiting for me at the front door. I parked the car and went up to her. “He still throwing things?”

            “Yeah,” she said as she led me inside. “He doesn’t want me to come in there. He sent Abby out, but that’s the only time he’s opened the door.”

            I could hear a muffled thud come from behind his closed door. “He’s not going to want me in there either, but I won’t let him stop me.”

            Sophie smiled sadly. “That’s why I called you. You’re the only one who might be able to get him out of this mood.”

            “I’ll try,” I replied as I put my hand on the doorknob. “You might want to go somewhere soundproof. I have a feeling that there will be some yelling.”

            She nodded. “I’m going to go out for some coffee. My mom isn’t home, so don’t worry about waking her up.”

            I nodded once and then opened the door. It was dark, so I flicked on the light and my eyes widened at the sight in front of me. Objects were scattered over the floor, some broken and some at drunken angles. Blake was standing in the middle of the mess, wearing only a pair of pajama pants and his head whipped in my direction when he heard the door open. “Sophie, I told you not to come in here,” he snarled.

            I shut the door behind me. “It’s not Sophie,” I replied calmly.

            He froze in the middle of throwing what looked like a clock radio. “Hailey? What the hell are you doing here?”