Chpt 31. Goodbye

Avril's POV

"It looks better" Caleb said "You look beautiful"

I shrugged and kept staring at my reflection. My arm was pretty damaged, it would take a bit longer to heal, so meanwhile it looked like Frankenstein's wife.

I avoided to look at my scarred arm again, so I pulled down the long sleeve of my black sweater.

After spending two days more on that horrible bed at the hospital, I was finally free.

It was midday, Dad and Caleb took me home so I could take a shower and rest. Yeah right, as if I could.

After bugging them for a few hours they finally agreed to take me to see Cloe.

"Your dad is waiting" Rachel peeked through the door

"I'm coming" I mumbled

Caleb wrapped an arm around my waist, he was still afraid of letting me walk on my own.

****

I was sitting on the back seat of dad's car, Caleb was next to me while Rachel took the front seat. I rested my head on the window, I felt emotionally drained.

It was a bit gloomy outside, gray clouds threatened to pour a river over us; I couldn't help to think about that day.

Amy's words echoed in my head over and over again; and every time I felt sicker and sicker.

I could feel Caleb's worried eyes over me, his hand wrapped around mine but I was too numb to squeeze it back.

At first I was too confused to understand it, it was so unreal to me, so unfair. 

Caleb's POV

"I'll get her out" I offered "You and Rachel can go, we'll meet you there"

"Are you sure?" Chris doubted "She's... Well.. You know"

"Caleb is her mate, she'll need him more than he needs you" Rachel interrupted "Take your time Caleb"

"Thanks" I smiled at her

They walked off while I stood there, staring at my mate. She was deep in thought, she'd been like that since I left her alone with Amy; I shouldn't have done it.

After the stupid fake vampires disappeared, I ran back to the airport, hoping to find Avril before she got into that plane.

And the only thing I found was my broken and bleeding mate unconscious on the ground, Amy twisting around like a possessed, me sister crawling over mud to me, and Cloe.

Cloe, the strongest female of my pack, the girl I'd grew up with, the girl I'd crushed on during all my middle school years; she was lying on the ground, her body was stiff, her eyes were white... Lifeless.

Avril wouldn't know about it if Amy had known how to keep it to herself, at least until Avril was completely healed.

Don't get me wrong, I was sad. Cloe was like a sister to me, I cared about her, and it was painful to tell her goodbye.

I shook my head in an attempt to clear my thoughts.

I knocked on the car's window, trying to catch Avril's attention.

She took long, but she looked up slowly. A frown appeared on her face as she looked around, realizing that she was alone in the car now.

I opened the door and helped her out.

"I didn't realize..." She started

"Don't worry" I wrapped an arm around her waist "Now let's go, your dad is waiting"